Alannah's Reviews > Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Vol. 1

Jan 15, 08

bookshelves: graphicnovels, tvrelated, buffy
Recommended for: Buffy fans
Read in October, 2007

I have a love/hate thing going with Buffy comics. On one hand, I enjoy the additional stories that have a chance to be told outside of the tv series. I find that in general, the comic writers do a great job of keeping everything consistent character- and plot-wise. I do find some of the stories a tad boring, and the art is kind of hit-or-miss as far as my personal taste goes. Sometimes the drawing style doesn't quite seem to match the story, or I really find that I just don't care for the way a particular artist draws the Scoobies.

The "omnibus" collection is a great idea, and I appreciate that they wanted to keep everything in order according to the Buffyverse timeline instead of going in the order that the comics were originally released. The main problem I have with this series is the size. Who on earth decided to make the books smaller than regular trade paperbacks?! It's incredibly annoying to me that we don't get to enjoy the artwork the way it was originally presented, but instead in a reduced format. It was a really strange decision to go with this smaller size in my opinion.

Overall, I'm glad they're reprinting these for those of us who weren't on the bandwagon when they were originally released as single issues, and these collections are very reasonably priced as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffy the Vampire Slayer.