Danielle's Reviews > Bumped

Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011, arc, netgalley, fiction-ya
Read from April 06 to 21, 2011

Review posted here on my blog.

What a strange book.

In the future, a virus has rendered everyone over the age of 18 infertile. Society has become baby-obsessed, putting the job of procreating squarely on the shoulders of boys and girls who are basically still children themselves. Finding the right kid to carry your child is a million-dollar business, and only the best, brightest, fittest, smartest, and most attractive are hired.

Melody is on her way to being a “Surrogette,” just waiting for the boy she’ll be matched to “pregg” with. She’s fighting her feelings for her best friend, Zen, but he’s too short and too Asian to be a professional. What Melody doesn’t know is that she has a twin sister, Harmony. The two were separated at birth and raised very differently. Melody is from the baby- and money-obsessed Otherside, and Harmony has been raised in Goodside, which appears very similar to modern Amish communities.

The girls meet, and, through a series of mistaken identities and admitting they’re not so different after all, they’re driven in two surprising (to them) directions and the book ends on a sequel-obvious cliffhanger.

I enjoyed the story quite a lot. It’s fresh and original, and I appreciate how neither the sex-obsessed teens nor the highly religious teens are treated as campy stereotypes. Both types are fallible, funny, naive, wise, and normal. I, as a Christian, kept waiting to be offended by either side of the story, but I never was. Kudos to the author for walking the fine line and telling a good story without resorting to cheap insults.

My only quibble, which is minor but continuous throughout the story, is a lot of the words and phrases. Things like “bump,” “pregg,” “facespace,” “dose down,” etc., are cutesy, but so foreign that they can slow down reading. It took me about half the book to get used to the language quirks to really sail through it and not stumble while reading. I imagine that won’t pose a problem in the next book, since I’m now used to the style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bumped.