Jessie's Reviews > Your Daddy Was Just Like You

Oct 12, 10

bookshelves: childrens-books
Recommended for: nobody
Read on October 13, 2010, read count: once

I liked the idea of this book when I saw it in the library. The story is of a grandmother telling her grandson how much his Daddy used to be like him, once a tiny baby.
It was the right reading level to be enjoyed by my son, so I checked it out.

Fortunately, I didn't have time to read it to him that day, and later that night I opened the book to read to my husband, thinking it would be a fun, warm humorous read. Not so.

I will not read this book to my son, and am glad I read it first without him. I found the details listed to be too specific, making it a lot more difficult for boys other than the auther's son to relate.

It had details that I'm fairly sure my husband never experienced. It had other details that I hope our son never experiences. I wish the author had stuck to things in common with all babies/boys - small newborn, learned to crawl, learned to walk, got skinned knees, etc. Unfortunately, the specifics added only detracted from the story.

If you have an Attachment Parenting type of family, or are an Alfie Kohn fan, I doubt you will enjoy this book. (For example, when the boy "fussed" he was sent to sit in a corner in his time-out chair)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Daddy Was Just Like You.