Jenny's Reviews > The Secret of Ka

The Secret of Ka by Christopher Pike

Oct 30, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, young-adult
Read in October, 2010

I don’t know too many books with genies and magic carpets so the first thing that came to mind was Aladdin because that’s the only story I know with genies and magic carpets.

In the beginning Sara seemed very spoiled to me and she always has to have it her way. Both she and Amesh have so many arguments about the carpet and she says that they will share it 50/50 but she still feels more entitled to it than he does. At first I understood why Amesh might be so insistent on finding a Djinn (genie) and making a wish. He’s from an impoverished family and maybe making that one wish will help improve his family situation. But as I kept reading it became clear that he’s overly obsessed with it and that he might have other motives for wanting a Djinn so bad.

I’m seeing this more and more in books now where the two main characters hardly know each other and have just met but suddenly they realize they’re falling in love. With Sara and Amesh, they’ve just met that very day and spend most of their time arguing with each other. But then when Amesh gets in trouble, steals the carpet and leaves her stranded on an isolated island; she’s still worried about him and missing him.

I enjoyed reading about the mythology and the world of the Djinn and as the story gets going, it gets exciting with lots of action. It kept me guessing and once the Djinn got involved you don’t know what they might do because they have an agenda of their own too.

Believe it or not this is the fist book I’ve read by Christopher Pike. I know he’s written a lot of other series so I’m looking forward to picking those up too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of Ka.