Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Night Chills

Night Chills by Dean Koontz

Nov 07, 12

Read from October 12 to 15, 2010

My daughter came through the living-room the other day and observed, "I just read another one of Koontz's early books, and he really has improved, a lot."

Now that's not a blanket truth, a few of his early books are pretty good. I don't, personally, think this is one of them.

It may be that I would have given the book 2 stars rather than 1 had the account of the "romance" not completely driven me up the wall and away from the book, so I put the book down. I went so far as to put it on my to be traded or sold stack.

I like Dean Koontz as a general rule but there are times he leaves me completely cold. The way the book started seemed mildly interesting, though he was stretching things a bit (hey, this is "imaginative fiction" stretching doesn't bother me, suspension of belief is part of it), but the story wasn't grabbing me. After that when the "love interest" was introed and I saw how that was going to go I just put the book down. I wasn't willing to go through the repetitive predictable conversations that would ensue. Just me. As I said I suppose if that bothered you less even if you weren't fond of the book you might go 2 stars, but I couldn't see abandoning a book and giving it more than a single star.

********************** SPOILERS BELOW LINE *************************

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Chills.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (new)

Rose Love this review!!! I think I was pretty young when I read Koontz so I didn't see all this. I have a feeling if I re-read him now while in my 40's, I'd have a much different perspective.
I did report on the same ice cubes for subliminal ads back in the early 80's for college.

Mike (the Paladin) I know. I'd read that the results of the famous tests of the 1950s were falsified before, but looked it up again when I read this. I suspect subliminal advertising has little effect unless you're already prone to buy the product (if you like Coke or whatever.). Of course...if I'm actually being controlled by Madison Av. I wouldn't know it would I? maybe I'm buying all these books because of some subliminal adds??? Oh well.

message 3: by Rose (new)

Rose LOL!!! Love that!! Maybe it's why I'm buying books too! But how would we EVER know.

Mike (the Paladin) I know. Well, I'd write an answer, but I'm suddenly overwhelmed with an urge for another Coca-Cola....