Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)'s Reviews > As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto: Food, Friendship, and the Making of a Masterpiece

As Always, Julia by Joan Reardon

Oct 25, 10

bookshelves: kritter-reviewed-2010, ebook
Read from October 12 to 24, 2010

Well, this book was a hard and long read. I am a fan of Julia Childs and loved reading about her life in the parts of Julie and Julia, but this book was rough.

A book that is 90% letters between the pen pals - Julia Childs and Avis DeVoto. This was a great way to get to know two women who changed the face of not only cookbooks, but food on tv. The structure of the book was appealing - but I had a few issues.

I did not enjoy the parts of the letters between Avis and Julia that pertained to politics. I skimmed sweetly over it to get back to the writing of the cookbooks. The length of the book was overwhelming. I am not sure if this is due to my reading it on the computer, but I felt like a few to some of the letters could have been ommitted to make for quicker reading.

The one positive take away - is that I enjoyed reading the extensive work that went into publishing the cookbook. The rounds of edits and revisions was beyond comprehension.

I would send this book off to friends that like a book formatted in letters and who don't mind reading about the politics of the time.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As Always, Julia.

Carol I'm not sure why an author would compromise her book by omitting materials for the sake of a quick read? Should that be a consideration when writing? Seems better just to save ALL your time and just not read it than to read a condensed version, i.e., a Reader's Digest.