Thomas's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

2018505
Nov 05, 10

bookshelves: read-for-high-school, own-physical, dystopia, science-fiction
Read from October 12 to November 04, 2010

Disturbing, devastating, and disconcerting, Lord of the Flies is a powerful novel I'll never forget. The thought of going through something that terrifying truly scares me, and affects me deeply because the main characters were boys around my age. An action story layered with allegory and allusion, this book revealed the darkness of mankind and the value of civilization.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

message 1: by Cara (new) - rated it 1 star

Cara Oh gosh I did not like this book at all. I read as a sophmore and I have to admit then I just always wanted things to work out. I guess I was immature that way, but it has a lot of good symoblism and is good for class dicussions. I'm interested in what you'll review will say about this book:)

Nancy Can't wait for your thoughts on this, Thomas. It was a very disturbing and unforgettable book. Are you reading it for school?

Thomas Cara, I'm reading it as a sophomore too. For now all I can say is that I like it a more than Beowulf, which was absolutely dreadful.

Nancy, yes I am. I love your review of this book, by the way.

Nancy Thanks, Thomas. It wasn't much of a review, really. At the time I wrote it, all the details weren't fresh in my mind. I was a junior when I read it the first time. Beowulf was not required reading for me.

Michael Oh dear God, Beowulf was such a fail. Lord of the Flies is better. :)

Thomas Ah, I see... its conciseness managed to convey the message all the same :)

This is totally true. Yay for books written in prose!

Nancy I guarantee you'll never forget this book as long as you live. How did others in your class respond to it?

Thomas We haven't actually discussed the entire book yet, just chapters one through six. So far, everyone seems to dislike Jack and feel pity for Piggy - which I suppose is the desired reaction.

A lot of my peers who did finish though thought it was thoroughly disturbing, although more interesting and attention-keeping than other books we've read in school.