Olivia's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Oct 12, 2010

Read from October 12 to 14, 2010

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian:
Be the First One to Leave
Being stuck on the reservation was killing him. Can Arnold change his life? The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, was set in present time. It was very realistic and the main character, Arnold, was easy to relate to. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. This was a really great book because it is very realistic, it is funny, and you can get very attached to the characters.
It was a really good book because it was very realistic. The fact that he was bullied was so interesting since that happens to so many teenagers nowadays. “Kids on the rez call me a retard at least twice a day.” Every one knows that it sucks to be made fun of, but he manages to handle it pretty well. All of the kids his age and older called him names and beat him up. He got used to it, but it was still a terrible thing to have to go through. So when he made new friends at his new school he loved it.
Another reason why this book was so good was because it was funny. I really couldn’t stop laughing while I read this book, it was so funny! For example, one of the chapter titles was “why chicken is so important to me”. During that chapter Arnold is talking about what it is like to live in poverty. He somehow manages to make that chapter funny! Alexie really manages to find the funny points of being a teenager and growing up!
Finally I loved this book because I got really attached to Arnold. Arnold was just such a lovable character. He is very self-deprecating in his drawings and jokes. If you look on page 5 there is a great picture where he makes himself look completely ridiculous. You will find these great drawings he makes through out the book.
So I thought his was a really good book because it is very realistic, funny, and you really get attached to the characters. I really connected to this book, because I always try to find the joke in things that are hard in life. So did Arnold, and he really seemed like someone I would get along with. What I learned from this book was that no matter how bad your situation is, you can always find the joke in it.

10/12/2010 page 3
show 2 hidden updates…

Gill this book was great

Olivia I know I love it!

Gill I like how you gave examples how it was funny. I was gaping when I saw that he had to walk 22 miles to get home from his school, or he had to hitchhike. Great job with the review it was great.

Olivia Thanks Gill! And I know 22 miles is alot!

Jjohn It was an excellent book

Olivia i know!!!!!!!!!

message 7: by Zach (new)

Zach A. I thought that this review was good. You gave good examples, but I thought that the thesis could have been more in depth, even though you had good reasons.

Olivia Thanks Zach I appreciate the advice. :)

Andrewski Is this some class report?