karen's Reviews > Truancy

Truancy by Isamu Fukui

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: and-so-this-is-grad-school, why-yes-i-ya
Read from October 12 to 15, 2010

truancy, boooo-ancy. and not scary halloween ghost boooo-ancy, i mean it blew-ancy.

fifteen-year-olds have a place in this world. i have no problem with them serving me food at an eatery, or bagging my groceries, but i don't want them performing my brain surgeries, and i don't want them in charge of my entertainment.

it's great that he wrote this so young, really. but it exhibits every weak writing mistake you would expect from someone so inexperienced: clumsy dialogue, continuity errors, oddly specific details that are stressed but serve no purpose. none of the characters were well-developed, the idea of cause and effect seemed... unfamiliar, there were many scenes i just straight up did not understand. and the same exact word-palette as twilight - do people really grit their teeth so much?? and clench their jaws?? don't let the orthodontists win!!

and i think some of the scenes were supposed to be funny, but they were like listening to that guy you work with, the one you think might be a little touched, make a joke and you feel all small and trapped and you force that laugh, but inside you feel violated.

so i was in a bar last night, and i was just alone, drinking beer and killing time until i was going to meet up, and this lady comes in with a baby. and she's drinking her beer, laughing with her friends, and the baby is SCREAMING. it hates the bar. and this makes me hate the bar. and that's what this book is like - the baby has no business being in a bar, and some teenager has no business ruining my love of reading dystopian fiction.

on the one hand i feel bad talking shit about some kid's writing. but, in my defense, had i found his diary or his school notebook and read it, i probably* wouldn't be making as much fun of it. but seriously, TOR, are there no full-grown writers?? what's george r r martin doing right now?? i have heard some fans that might be interested in another book from that direction...

ugh, can i bitch some more, or do you have plans? that final fight sequence?? what the fuck kind of baz luhrmann/julie taymor fighting scene was that? they have their swords in the fields and the petals are falling colorfully all around them, then suddenly they are in a fountain and the spray is going everywhere?? now they are on a subway?? this is an ambitious music video, but a shitty way to end a book.

and maybe that's the problem - maybe this would be a good video game, but nothing is developed well enough to make it work as a novel. in the golden age of video games, some of the old skool atari games came with little comics. this one was the best: . and no one has ever learned how to advance in the game, or determine its purpose, but i did play it a lot, blindly going through doors, unsure what was expected of me...

i mean, how much clearer could it be?? :

but the comic that came with it - that i loved. and i would actually curl up with it and be transported to the Land of the Zodiac where the gemini twins battled taurus or whatever... i don't know where i am going with this, only, that if i had read that swordquest video game comic as a novel, it would probably have been disappointing.

also - i just remembered - there is a fight scene in the library, too, where they throw books at each other and destroy many of them. NO FIGHTING IN THE LIBRARY!!!!

however, incendiary "water balloons" filled with lighter fluid and stuff. that's pretty cool, i guess.

* i don't know who i am kidding with this. i would probably be even worse. i am a dick.
74 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truancy.

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael C'mon Karen. Don't hold back...Tell us what you really think!

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg I had that video game and the instruction books, and the comic book and it still made no sense. It seemed like it should be cool but who really knows. One night a friend sleeping over at my house stayed up all night playing the game while I slept. He claimed to have beaten it but I think he was lying.

karen hahah yeah i know. this book made me so bored, though...

greg, your friend sounds like an asshole. good thing you have better friends now.

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg That same friend once tried to convince me he was born without a butt and he had to have one put on to him so he'd have a butt after he was born. I didn't buy that story.

karen where the fuck did you get your friends from??this is explaining so much about you.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg Public school.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael I know someone who claimed to have been born with a tail!!

karen you explain that scar, then, mr know-it-all...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

i like what i can read of this review. is anyone else having major problems with goodreads today??? the "more" button (among others) is not working for me.

message 10: by The Crimson Fucker (last edited Oct 16, 2010 11:52AM) (new)

The Crimson Fucker karen wrote: "you explain that scar, then, mr know-it-all...

it is a hole in my butt that goes nowhere, and would be the perfect size and spot for a tail."

finally!!! a thread where i can post this!!!! i just wish Papa Brissette weren't here though... this could get awkward! here goes nothing!!!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Cute

message 12: by The Crimson Fucker (last edited Oct 16, 2010 12:07PM) (new)

The Crimson Fucker Michael wrote: "Cute"

ok... i just basically told your daughter... oh god! this is awkward! let me try again! i basically told your daughter to put on an anal pony tail dildo...! dear god this is awkward for real! i can't say it!!!! what i think i'm trying to say here, Mr. Papa Brissette, is that you can't say cute to that! also i can see where Karen gets her sense of humor =)

karen i believe my dad's comment was ironic.

this is why i never bring you home to meet my daddy....

message 14: by Caris (new)

Caris Alfonso, I think Dante reserved a special place for people like you. Somewhere in the second circle.

message 15: by Caris (new)

Caris Just to clarify- I do think that was some funny, funny shit. But it was wrong. So wrong.

karen my dad is probably secretly amused as well...

but he needs to act shocked, or children's services will be contacted...

karen ariel, hold out for the second half - that's where all the pictures are!

message 18: by The Crimson Fucker (last edited Oct 16, 2010 02:47PM) (new)

The Crimson Fucker karen wrote: "i believe my dad's comment was ironic.

this is why i never bring you home to meet my daddy...."

ha! i think i'd be the best thing you ever take home to meet your dad! imagine us drinking beer, watching a baseball, having a blast making witty nerdy remarks in ancient Noldor!

karen i don't know what my dad would make of you.there would be mutual confusion.

The Crimson Fucker ha! i can already see you trying to explain to Papa Brissette (PB) what the fuck am i doing in his household!

PB: WTF is HE doing in my household!?

Karen: i'm not sure myself! i told him he couln't come, but he came anyway! he said something about verifying by himself that Rhode Island is not an actual island...

PB: ok... that makes no fucking sense! and why is he poking me?

Karen: well long story short... Alfonso is a solipsistic or something like that! the thing is that he is convinced that i dont exist and he is poking you to prove that I exist.

Alfonso: what's for dinner?

The Crimson Fucker you know what!? i think you may be right! that could be a little confusing!

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen I remember playing Utopia, but must've missed Swordquest.

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg Jen, I don't think you were missing too much. But speaking of Atari 2600 games (and trying to steer the conversation away from Alfonso's anal plug / tail / Karen and her dad part of the thread), does anyone remember the Raiders of the Lost Ark game?

The Crimson Fucker Greg, i will steer away from any conversation to discuss classic crappy video games... i do remember Raiders of the Lost Ark... and i seriously wish i didnt.

message 25: by The Crimson Fucker (last edited Oct 16, 2010 09:23PM) (new)

The Crimson Fucker it was better than ET tho!

message 26: by Greg (new)

Greg It was so much better than ET. I remember in the Raiders of the Lost Ark game having to sit starting at the screen for like fifteen minutes doing nothing for the sun to shine and to move on.

Do you remember if you were able to finish the game?

The Crimson Fucker hahahahahah! and no, i dont remember finishing the game... i never owned an Atari my friend did! i used to beg my mother to take me to spent the weekend in his house to play with his one controller only atari... i do remember this tank game he had... where each side had to shoot once... and make the little bullet bounce around a "labyrinth" to hit the other guy! we developed a system in which each player shoots once, reconnect the controller and the other player shoots from the other side! we played for hours like that! damn! those were the days man!

message 28: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell It was no Pitfall, that's for sure.

The Crimson Fucker Dave wrote: "It was no Pitfall, that's for sure."

holy shit! all games in da house! i remember that one! but for the NES! i played the shit out of that game!!!!! never managed to finish it tho!

message 30: by Greg (new)

Greg It's weird to think about how amazing the graphics were on Pitfall at the time.

I think I know the tank game you're talking about. Atari loved one thing shooting a square at another thing.

Pitfall commercial with a very young Jack Black:

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Butt plugs and video games. Just another Saturday night, right fellas? ::elbow nudges all around:: Am I right or am I right??

message 32: by The Crimson Fucker (last edited Oct 16, 2010 10:14PM) (new)

The Crimson Fucker MyFleshSingsOut wrote: "Butt plugs and video games. Just another Saturday night, right fellas? ::elbow nudges all around:: Am I right or am I right??"

guahahahah! true! true!

still! anybody remember 1943????

message 33: by Greg (new)

Greg I played that one a little bit in the arcade, and my friend had it I think for Colecovision, but at the time I was more into playing Time Pilot.

message 34: by Greg (new)

Greg MyFleshSingsOut wrote: "Butt plugs and video games. Just another Saturday night, right fellas? ::elbow nudges all around:: Am I right or am I right??"

The Crimson Fucker IDK who VJ is... but i dont think i wanna hang around him.... i mean not that there is anything wrong the things he is into... but idk! it sounds weird!!!

Greg, did you ever played zelda?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Greg wrote: "Someone should invite Virginity John to the thread, he probably has a lot of experience with both...."

Zing! VirJohn (pretty good, huh?) will never fully appreciate how much he sucks, so we have to work extra hard to make up for his failure to appreciate his failure. Forever. Or until he naturally fades from our minds and threads. Until then: Zing! Zing! Zing!

The Crimson Fucker wow! now i'm kind of interested in learning who this VJ dude is! to think that i spent so much time in goodreads and i never remember who said this or that!

message 38: by Greg (new)

Greg I think I played the first three Zeldas. The second two looked a lot better but they were nothing compared to the original.

message 39: by Greg (new)

Greg VJ is pretty new, he seems to show up on reviews written by women for books he loves but she doesn't love, tells the her she is dumb and then starts calling her an ugly lesbian. He is a school teacher from Texas.

The Crimson Fucker i know! specially the second! i recently re-played it justto be able to finish it... i used to think it was my lack of english that made the game so fucking crappy... but i'll be honest with you! now that i understand a little bit of english that games makes even less sense! the first one in the other hand... uff! i played it till my fingers hurt!!!

The Crimson Fucker Greg wrote: "VJ is pretty new, he seems to show up on reviews written by women for books he loves but she doesn't love, tells the her she is dumb and then starts calling her an ugly lesbian. He is a school tea..."

wow! that's why i never trust a teacher! they all suck!

message 42: by Greg (new)

Greg At the time the second one had some really good graphics and some interesting moves Link could do that were unlike anything in other Nintendo games but the game itself wasn't that good.

message 43: by The Crimson Fucker (last edited Oct 16, 2010 10:55PM) (new)

The Crimson Fucker i will not deny the revolutionary elements of the game, specially considering the time that it came out... but the game play was pure crap! increasing the difficulty of a game to extent the game play its just retarded! the fact that nobody from the original game was involve in it's developing clearly shows in all the aspects of the game... in the sound track specially i was hurt the most... but by the tried one they did amazing things!!! they brought sexy back to the franchise with A Link To The Past!

karen are you seeing this???

[image error]

this one was my favorite. and i knew how to play it and everything. unlike e.t.

message 45: by David (new)

David This review is very funny. I liked it.

I know that sounds very Stepheny, but that's all I've got right now.

message 46: by Greg (new)

Greg you liked it. you voted.

(i am karen-as-greg right now)

message 47: by Alexandra (new)

karen seriously. put away your weapons

message 49: by Pooyan (new)

Pooyan it's really good of you but I don't understand it that why you read everything!

karen a girl's gotta see what the wrold has to offer...

« previous 1