Megan Goss's Reviews > Sector 7

Sector 7 by David Wiesner

F_50x66
Oct 12, 10

Read in October, 2010

I noticed the Caldecott Honor Award on the cover so I know the illustrations are going to be really good. The cover shows a building called the “cloud dispatch center” so I know this book will be imaginative. The class goes on a field trip to the Empire State Building where a boy plays with a cloud who takes him up to the sky. The illustrator uses framed images to tell the story and sometimes uses more than 1 framed image to show more action at one time (going up the elevator and the cloud playing with the boy). I really enjoyed the use of framing during this story. I also like the illustration technique used that creates a hazy effect to show the clouds in the beginning. The idea behind a boy playing with a cloud is very playful. Most of the colors used throughout the book are neutral except for the red of the boy’s hat and scarf which stand out as they travel into the sky. Once in the sky, I noticed the colors become a little richer inside sector 7 (similar to a train station but for clouds). There is no text in this book but it is not needed: just imagination. The illustrations do a wonderful job telling the story. I like the end where the clouds follow the boy’s plan of turning into sea creature shapes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sector 7.