Heather L's Reviews > The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion

The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion by Alice Kimberly

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: mystery, paranormal, 2011, featured-cozy-author
Read from April 05 to 09, 2011

Finished The Ghost and The Haunted Mansion last night. Another good addition to the series, and really liked what this book said about censorship and not judging what other people read. This comes up as customers complain about a racy standee used to promote a new thriller. Here is what Penelope's Aunt Sadie says on the topic:

"[Customers] are perfectly free to purchase what they like to read. In this store, everyone is, and no one will ever be made to feel bad about reading whatever speaks to them, whatever makes them happy. Did you know a St. Francis (local college in the book) Ph.D. candidate once asked me in serious, earnest tones why I sell cozy mysteries?

"...Apparently this young man hadn't heard that Agatha Christie is one of the most widely read authors in the English language, and the genre in which she excelled is still very much alive and loved, not to mention one of our most popular sales categories.

"Should I stop selling the Yarn Spinners their favorite books because some young man, paying oodles of money to read a professor's syllabus, has an opinion about what some of my very best customers 'should' be reading?"

* * *

"I'm not saying...that this year's roster of bestselling authors will stand the test of time. But, you know, the novel itself was once considered a 'disreputable' genre; and some of the greatest books ever written--in my humble opinion--would be dismissed today as 'popular' fiction, given the literary theories of the moment. And I do mean moment, dear."

* * *

"Academia can be as changeable and trendy as the rest of society in what it decides to deem worthy, and people who go out of their way to make others feel bad about their enjoyment of a particular book, even an entire genre, are missing the bigger picture.

"At a time when fewer and fewer adults are reading anything, we should be celebrating enthusiasm, not condemning it.

"Be careful... 'My' books are good and yours are bad' is a dangerous Animal Farm game... For some people, 'erudition' is nothing more than a vehicle for hostility and arrogance; 'good taste' merely an excuse for condescension--or worse, censorship."

(pg 96-98)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion.

04/07/2011 page 124