Sophie Riggsby's Reviews > The Vespertine

The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

Apr 07, 12

Read from October 23, 2010 to March 12, 2011

Review/Giveaway published on 4/7/2012 on Page Turners Blog. Giveaway ends on 4/17/12

A rustle of silk. An empty dance card. And the wait, that agonizing wait spent wondering if the Boy-Who-is-Absolutely-Wrong-for-You will show up at the dance. We’ve all had that moment, haven’t we?

Saundra Mitchell pens a story of forbidden love, one in which the couple is not only separated by the rigid rules of society but also by their own secrets, which are kept hidden. As a reader, I understood that Amelia is husband shopping but as a woman in today’s society, I completely related to her determination to shop for love and her place in a society which swaps calling cards for favors. After all, even today, it’s all about who you know and how to get the right introductions to the right people at the right time.

Let me take a minute to pause and admire Saundra’s ability to meld the historical setting with a paranormal element because she does it so incredibly well. The 1880s were a time in the United States when people dabbled in séances and attended magic performances and Amelia’s ability plays so well into this historical trend.

I’m trying hard to stay spoiler-free in this review but, I will say that what kept me turning pages was Amelia herself. I loved her journey of self-discovery from the country girl who arrived from Broken Tooth, Maine to the girl who everyone wants to speak to in the most coveted social circles of Baltimore, Maryland. I adored her smart, true-to-herself, steadfast ways. And yes, I fell in love with her Nathaniel. Feel free to add him to your list of Fictional Boyfriends. He’s naughty, slightly inappropriate but he has merits you will only discover when you read The Vespertine.

If you love a historical read with a paranormal twist, be sure to pick up The Vespertine. If you stay away from historical stories, pick it up, you will find yourself drawing parallels to current society. Go on, I dare you – “jump with me.”
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vespertine.

01/09/2011 page 304
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Ayesha (new) - added it

Ayesha Got it off netgalley a couple weeks ago, but just read a few pages into it so far.... Let me know what you think! :))

Sophie Riggsby I adored it!!!! I'm trying to compose my thoughts for a review -- 5 shiny stars for sure!

Chrystal What a wonderful review. :)

Sophie Riggsby Aww, Chrystal, thank you. Your comment made my day.