Tapestrymlp's Reviews > Plain Kate

Plain Kate by Erin Bow

Oct 12, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, read-in-2010, young-readers, all-time-favorites
Read in November, 2010

Plain Kate is a delightful read, rich with description and detail and just as filled with whimsy. From the idea of a stolen shadow to the fact that Kate's main companion is a talking cat the fairy tale elements are smoothly integrated and give the story a timeless feeling. This is not a light fluffy read however and the story tugs at me even after finishing it.

While the plot was a fairly straight forward, no real surprises, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Kate was a great character with a lot of appeal and good growth. The author did a great job creating memorable characters that break the cookie-cutter mold.

I have only one quibble about the book and that is below the spoiler warning below.

SPOILERS BELOW

Taggle's death was heart-wrenching and then to have him come back was a little jarring. Don't get me wrong, I was happy for Kate and yet it felt like cheating. The ending would have been stronger if the whole dying cat thing had been skipped, it was emotionally wrenching enough when Taggle reverts to a normal cat from a fully sentient creature. That was heartbreaking and would have had more impact if I hadn't just been faked out by the cat supposedly dying just pages earlier.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plain Kate.