Eileen Souza's Reviews > The Queen of Palmyra

The Queen of Palmyra by Minrose Gwin

Feb 22, 11

bookshelves: north-america
Read in February, 2011

This is a book that I had high expectations for - maybe only because I've read a couple of excellent books from this era, like The Help. It did not quite meet my expectations, but was not bad, so it gets a 3 star rating.

The story is of Florence Forrest, living in Mississippi in the 60's. The story is told from this 11 year old's perspective, and was definitely not what I was expecting. I'm sure that you can imagine that there are "bad guys in capes" in this story, but the remarkable thing is how it is presented from this child's perspective, and how the insidious nature of some of the grown-ups around her influence her.

The story was somewhat rambling, and the grammar was intentionally bad in places - but still had a negative impact on the reading experience. It was somehow horrible and yet detached at the same time - i.e. I did not shed a tear at the end, and I feel like I should have, based on what happened.

A decent book, but not a great one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Palmyra.