Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)'s Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Nov 11, 10

bookshelves: arc, young-adult
Read from November 03 to 08, 2010

Imagine a future where the leading scientists and doctors have found a cure for a life threatening disease called delirium nervosa or in other words, LOVE. In the future, love is disapproved of, because it can make you crazy, sick, and even cause death. If you aren't following me, look at the many examples, such as Romeo and Juliet, and what about the love sick teenager? Or even, as Beyonce would say, those of us that are "crazy in love" and don't even get me started on Fatal Attraction. And going with that idea, in Lauren Oliver's dystopia, they have found a cure for this "disease" and teenagers at the age of 18 will be permitted to get the cure, otherwise known as surgery. Lena, the main character, is looking forward to this big day, because she doesn't want to end up like her mother, who died from the complications of love. Lena can see first hand how the cure has helped her own sister, Rachel, who has been matched and married off successfully, as well as her Aunt Carol. But after the cure, people walk around pretty indifferent and unable to have a strong reaction to most things. Nonetheless, Aunt Carol and Rachel both help her to see that the cure is going to make things all better and Lena agrees until she meets Alex. Alex is mysterious and she wants to get to know him better even though she is afraid of falling in love and the consequences that come with it; however, their love blossoms and despite many roadblocks, they find a way to be together. Ultimately, the million dollar question is: What will Lena do about this as her surgery is coming up soon? What choice will she make? Lauren Oliver's first installment in this fascinating series will captivate fans and have readers flipping pages long into the night.

The thing that I loved most about this book is the world that Oliver created. It is so extremely unique and the premise of the story is completely original. I kept wondering where she got the idea? It's brilliant! She develops the world effortlessly and makes it so very believable; she even includes excepts from government documents and such. I've read a lot of dystopian fiction lately, but this one truly stands out, because of all of those little details that Oliver included.

I love Lauren Oliver's writing style as mentioned in my review of Before I Fall. Her descriptions are exceptionally poetic and eloquent. I often find myself repeating certain phrases over again, because they are so beautiful and Oliver does that again in this novel.

I adored the characters, especially her best friend Hanna. She is truly a foil for Lena, but that is why they work; after all, opposites attract. If was nice to read about a supportive, realistic friendship as so often in young adult literature, it's all about the mean girls and betrayal. Alex, the love interest, is also a fabulous character that is definitely swoon worthy. His relationship with Lena was completely absorbing; I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thank GOD this book is part of a series, because the end of this novel completely kicked my butt. I nearly hyperventilated reading the last page.....talk about a CLIFFHANGER! Sadly, Pandemonium, the second book in the series, doesn't come out until 2012 sometime and Requiem will be published in 2013. I'm sure this book will be one of the most talked about books of 2011 and if you haven't already, you will definitely want to pre-order this addicting start to a spellbinding new series. If you still aren't convinced, word on the street is that this book has already been optioned for film back in June!! Insert my awe here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Juju (Tales of Whimsy.com) Your review totally convinced me!

Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict) I'm so glad! I think you will really like it! :)