Katelyn's Reviews > Fate

Fate by Amanda Hocking

Dec 09, 10

bookshelves: own
Read from October 12 to 13, 2010

Not very often do I find a book by luck alone anymore. I have so many great series' I follow and authors I've come to favor or new releases I'm looking forward to that I don't struggle for material too much. This book found me. My kindle recommended it and it was only $.86 so I thought why not? Thank you kindle! I flew through this one in less than a day and immediately went in search of the rest of the series' installments. I knew I would want to read them all.

Many have compared this series to be similar to the Twilight series and while I can see how some of the elements are very much alike, it's also got it's own unique flavor to it that helped it stand out enough for me to enjoy as a fresh new series. The main character Alice finds herself spending tons of time with Jack who she later learns is a vampire. He lives with his "family" who are also vampires. Truthfully this book had a lot of set up and plot information/explanations but I was OK with that. It wasn't tedious, but instead I wanted more information and was glad when it unfolded. With the transformation of going from being human to becoming a vampire, I thought Amanda Hocking's different take on this (or at least in some ways) was pretty interesting. The bonding created problems that drove me crazy, but I still found them all fascinating. Jack's family is connected to one another very deeply because of this bonding. Because of all this, Alice has a connection that she can't explain to Jack's "brother" Peter. I was not a fan. I've been told I may come to change my mind but at the moment I'm not loving Peter. Jack is wonderful and seems like such a great character that at the moment I'm thinking I'm going to be firmly on his side. But hey, when there's a love triangle of any kind everyone chooses sides eventually. So for the moment I'm on Team Jack. I do like a good love triangle though.

So if you're looking for a good vampire story that may remind you at parts of Twilight, but won't feel like a re-read, I'd say pick this one up. I've started the second installment, Fate and I'm still hooked. I'm thinking that won't be changing anytime soon.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fate.

message 1: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B I just purchased the first in this series for my Kindle. How do you like them so far?

Katelyn I actually reall like them, lol. I found the 1st one on my kindle too and it was less than a $1 so I figured why not and ended up breezing through it so I wanted to read the rest. I just finished the 2nd and started the 3rd. They're quick reads and I'm a fan of the characters, let me know how you like the 1st one.

message 3: by Vina (new)

Vina jhfjkdhfjkshdfkashefhlauwehbwukfhaukshfiukehsfuliaesjkhfjkadshfkjhsdkjfhkesuhdfufsjdfdksljfaksldjfkls;djfsakl;dfjaslkdfjklsadfjsldkfjskldghwaeihgai masiudfjshfawesf uwarsfgjhsfjkhskg dn

message 4: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Lee This sounds almost exactly like Vampire Diaries.