Nafiza's Reviews > Forsaken

Forsaken by Jana Oliver

Sep 18, 11

bookshelves: debut-authors-11, 2011
Read on August 16, 2011

Another YA debut that I suppose is not a debut in the strictest sense of the word. It's more of a debut into the genre. Anyway, those details aside, I felt that Forsaken read more as an urban fantasy than a YA novel. Some of the tropes that are normally employed in YA (though, I suppose to colour them strictly YA would be inaccurate) are present in the book but at the same time, I felt that the maturity level was distinctly at a higher level than the usual YA. Not that that's a bad thing or anything. It's just an observation.

Riley has a difficult time of it. The whole sequence leading up to her father's death is quite poignant and I felt that the author successfully portrayed the various feelings that must accompany such a tragedy. I also quite liked the whole world building. It felt solid and when the foundation is solid, everything else feels like its going on the right track. The reason I couldn't completely enjoy this is because for some reason I was entirely ambivalent to Riley. I understood her motivations and even empathized with them to a fair extent, I just couldn't connect with her on an intrinsic level, you know, the level where you actually care about what happens to a character.

And I don't think this is the author's fault. It's just sometimes as a reader, you are simply unable to make a connection with the protagonist... Anyway, that aside, I didn't like how the triangle (obscure and unrealized though it is) is veering fast towards the noble sacrifice (and in fact, that's what happens in the end, huh?) and... the ambivalence about the main character bled into ambivalence about the official love interest though I was very interested in the unofficial one. I will read the next in the series simply because of him.

I don't know, guys. I usually don't have a problem like this about books. I either like it or dislike it. But this one I am totally neutral about. The world building, the plotting and pacing, they are all solid. The writing flows well. The characters... well. I guess they would be my problem alone sine they're not explicitly offensive or anything like that at all. Make up your own mind since I obviously can't make a decision whether to recommend it or not. Heh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forsaken.

08/16/2011 page 213

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza so how come you've rated the book THREE and FOUR stars...?

Nafiza What? I changed it to three stars, damnit. GRs is acting weird on me. Four was immediately after reading. Three after I had time to think about it and realized I didn't like that that much.

message 3: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza Nafiza wrote: "What? I changed it to three stars, damnit. GRs is acting weird on me. Four was immediately after reading. Three after I had time to think about it and realized I didn't like that that much."

yeah, sometimes it ends up rating twice when you rate for a different version AND IT'S SO ANNOYING.

Nafiza Oh man. I probably have a repeat on my list. I'm too hungry to care about the editions. :\

message 5: by Aleeeeeza (new) - added it

Aleeeeeza Nafiza wrote: "Oh man. I probably have a repeat on my list. I'm too hungry to care about the editions. :\"

i can totally feel yo pain, sista. :P

Nafiza Three or four more days, woman. It's do or die now.