Alazzar's Reviews > Myths and Legends

3531937
Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: abandoned
Read from April 03 to 04, 2011

I only got through the first three stories on this book before I had to give it up. I love a lot of the ideas behind mythology, but I feel that far too often the writing is too dull to hold my attention; it's often written like a textbook or the Bible. As much as I like the legends and premises behind the stories, I just have a hard time actually sitting down and reading through them.

I thought this book would be my cure. I'd heard that Horowitz had retold these myths with wit and whatnot, but I'm not sure what exactly was supposed to be considered "witty" (or even mildly humorous, or even mildly non-boring). I'd also heard that the stories were tailored more for a younger audience, which I thought may work well because it might mean the author had made it a point to keep everything from sounding so drab.

Apparently I was mistaken.

And don't even get me started on the said-bookisms. Yikes. Someone needs to tell Anthony Horowitz that it's okay to have his characters just "say" something every once in a while. Not everyone has to "cry," "demand," "whine," "exclaim," or "remark" their dialogue. (This was just a small sample of what I found while thumbing through the three stories I read; I'd hate to see what pops up throughout the entirety of the book.) When you use dialogue tags like this, it makes your characters sound way too overdramatic. Which, I guess, isn't quite as bad in a book about mythology, because those characters are overdramatic to begin with. But, still--do we really want to feed that fire?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Myths and Legends.