[Name Redacted]'s Reviews > Shadow of a Dark Queen

Shadow of a Dark Queen by Raymond E. Feist

Oct 12, 2010

it was ok

This book seems to occur towards the tail-end of Feist's "rape-fantasy period" (a name my friends and I gave to those of his books written between 1988 and 1995 which all seemed to involve graphic rape and abuse of female characters) as the actual rape of the female character is not narrated and only the after-effects are described. Instead he seems to replace it with a consensual encounter between the male protagnoist and a middle-aged prostitute, which I suppose is something to be grateful for given the books which preceded it... The narrative was otherwise quite interesting and the characters were fairly engaging; even the whoring made a certain amount of sense, given that the character was a grunt in the army during war-time. However the inclusion of yet another rape, even an "off-camera" one, meant that I could no longer stomach Feist's works. I threw this and all the other Feist "rape-fantasy period" books I had in the garbage. I'm told he stopped with the steady stream of rapes after this book, but I haven't been willing to check those claims.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of a Dark Queen.