Jennifer Defoy's Reviews > Almost Heaven

Almost Heaven by Chris Fabry

Oct 11, 2010

bookshelves: glass-road-pr, 2010-reads
Read in November, 2010

A review copy of this book was provided for review by Glass Road PR.

This was a great book! The story was so touching. It's got so much love, and yet so much pain inter-weaved into the story of Billy Allman.

Right from the beginning of the story both the love and pain show through. We first met Billy as an adult, and he really doesn't come off as being anyone special. But as the story goes back to the early part of his life it starts to get pretty interesting. There were so many times in this one that I wanted to cry for Billy. He had such a difficult life. It seemed that just as things would get good something horrid would happen to him.

I really liked to double narrative in this one. It helped move the story along when there wasn't much going on. The angel in this story was a great addition. I liked being able to see a different side of what happened and how Billy ended up where he did.

When I started this one I knew it was a work of fiction. However, as I was reading I kept thinking that this would be even more inspiring if it were true. The way some of it was written it had a feeling of a true story. So I decided to look at the author's website and found that while it is fictional it is also loosely based on the story of a real person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost Heaven.