Nicole's Reviews > Seasons of the Circle

Seasons of the Circle by Joseph Bruchac

Oct 11, 10

bookshelves: kids-books

I debated on the stars for this one, as I really wasn't impressed with it, but went with 3 because the artwork is pretty. It's not a story, just a series of 2-page spreads dedicated to each month of the year and telling what happens in that month in the corresponding season and with one particular Native American tribe. There were a few things mentioned that I had no idea what they were and they weren't explained further. It bothers me when authors assume the reader is going to know what these things are. There is a little appendix in the back, but the things I didn't know were not included in it; it only had the names of the moon given by 3 tribes (which was also bothersome to me as there were 12 tribes mentioned in the book!!). There was a detailed description and pronunciation of each tribe mentioned in the book, though, which was nice. I think this book would be more appropriate for those of Native American heritage than as a book introducing these concepts to people of other ancestry, because, in my opinion, it didn't do that very well at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seasons of the Circle.