Looksie (At Looksie Lovitz: Books and Wits Blog)'s Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Sad that the Hunger Games series is over? Never fear. There is this book. It has everything you need. It is Epic with a capital E. It is called Divergent. It will take you on a ride that leaves you breathless, heart pounding, palms sweating and with a big grin on your face. I'm not sure anything I say about it would be sufficient enough because it's just too awesome for words. Truth be told, when I first heard about this book I wasn't real impressed *facepalm* because the fire thing on the cover was kind of blah and the synopsis seemed very "let's jump on the dystopia popularity train!" *double facepalm* Clearly, I suck at first impressions. After reading a ton of rave reviews and the first 100 pages online (link on author's site), I knew that I had to have this one. I read it in a day. All 487 pages. And now here I am despairing that I have to wait until sometime in 2012 for the next book in this series. Anything I read after this book will be disappointing. How do you follow an act like Divergent? I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me tell you why you should read this book...

In this futuristic Chicago, the city is split into factions. Each faction has a primary value that they believed was lacking to cause wars of the past. Abnegation; Selflessness. Amity; Peacefulness. Candor; Honesty. Erudite; Intelligence. Dauntless; Bravery. Beatrice was raised to be selfless in Abnegation, but for her, it has never quite fit. When she turns 16, she must choose which faction she wants to live in. Does she dare leave her family? After taking a test to determine which faction fits her, she hopes to have an answer to decide but ends up with a rare and dangerous result. She is Divergent. She fits with more than one faction. Not exactly the answer she was looking for and when choosing day arrives, she risks betraying her family and follows her heart and chooses Dauntless; becoming Tris, the brave.

New faction, new name. Her choice was just the beginning. After choosing, she must go through initiation, which is designed to weed out the weak. Tris' competitors are ruthless and she refuses to fail as Dauntless despite her secret Divergent status. Soon she discovers that her world isn't as perfect as she thought. Something is brewing and she might be the only one that can do anything about it.

Tris is such a strong character. Did she always make the right choices? No. But I understood her. I felt the reasons behind the choices she made. She's a bit impulsive, but she is smart and definitely brave. I admired her tenacity. You can't help but root for her through her whole journey. And she isn't alone on her adventure. She makes a few friends with a couple initiates like Will, Christina, Al and Uriah. Christina was a great BFF. The girly girl that Tris isn't. She and Will are a bit of a duo and Tris is grateful they are on her side when she has to deal with ruthless initiates like Peter (EVIL!!). Al is a nice guy but he struggles with initiation and Uriah is a dauntless born initiate who doesn't seem to have a problem believing Tris is more Dauntless than she looks.

And then there is Four. The instructor. The "tough love" instructor that Tris starts to crush on. He's a bit intimidating but he seems to have a strong sense of right and wrong. The romance was evenly paced. There was no declarations of love after 5 minutes. Tris and Four's relationship is so much more complicated than that and I feel like that is part of why you'll love it.

Between the world, the characters and the intense emotions in this book, I can easily say that Veronica Roth's writing is aces. It's hard to believe there is no unnecessary filler in a novel this large but there really isn't. Divergent is a MUST READ. It's sad, it's ferocious, it's deep and you won't be disappointed. This book has everything you need in a book and I highly recommend it so you had better read it or I might have to come after you and hound you about it. *grin* Just kidding.... Kind of.

Sorry this review was so long! I just loved it so much!

For this review and more like it, visit my blog at http://www.looksielovitz.blogspot.com
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Mariya dude. please tell me u don't have this already b/c if you do I will be screaming in a fit of jealously XD XD XD

Looksie (At Looksie Lovitz: Books and Wits Blog) No. I just read the 100 pages online. I'm pretending that I just put this book on pause cause I'll be buying it the day it comes out. :P