Jenne's Reviews > House of the Star

House of the Star by Caitlin Brennan

Nov 23, 2010

bookshelves: goodreads-giveaway-titles, animals, childrens-books, fantasy
Read from November 15 to 16, 2010

Having read so many books like "My Friend Flicka", "National Velvet", "The Little White Horse" and the like, played with and collected My Little Ponies and still catch up with Mercedes lackey's Companion books every time a new one comes out, I was very pleased to win the ARC of this book. I had high hopes, which were not disappointed.

At the beginning it was the premise of the book to that drew me in - a princess from another realm is sent to work on a horse ranch in Arizona, along with the scion of her country's worst enemy in hopes that the feud destroying the lands of faerie can be stopped. Of course, the horses there are not just any horses, but magical ones called worldrunners, (similar and yet strikingly different to Lackey's Valdamar Companions) that are the only safe way to travel the roads through the worlds of Faerie.

But I also love that Brennan makes her main character, Elen, arrogant and unyielding in her hate for her enemy and therefore gives the readers a chance to form their opinion of the feud, instead of having to choose a side. Indeed, there were times when I really didn't like Elen, but so much the better!

Brennan draws you into the life of working a ranch, and the bonds formed by working with animals. She doesn't gloss over the mucking out and the hard labor, nor forgets about the competitive nature of a group thrown together.

This is a book I am happy to add to my book shelves and hope that one day I'll have a daughter who will appreciate the book as much, or more that I did!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of the Star.