The Flooze's Reviews > Black Butler, Vol. 1

Black Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana Toboso
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Butler, Vol. 1.

The Holy Terror OMG, the anime is fantabulous. The guy that does Sebastien's voice is super sexy, I seek out anime with him in it regardless of what it's about.

message 2: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Lol. They mentioned it in the shinigami panel I went to. Grell Sutcliff is sick sounding! I missed the screening of the anime unfortunately, but I'll get a hold of it at some point. Especially now that I know Sebastian sounds sexy. ;)

The Holy Terror The guy who does Grell Sutcliff is another one I specifically look for. Those two are my favorite male seiyuu.

The Holy Terror If you want other anime recs, let me know.

Or you can check out:

message 5: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze That's a lot of catching up to do. Thanks! Do you watch most of them online?

The Holy Terror Yup, I haven't watched anime on DVD for a few years now. I think the last series I watched on DVD was either Ergo Proxy or Black Lagoon. I like watching the new series as they air, although I haven't watched much in a while. I haven't read much manga either, just haven't been in the mood I guess. Maybe it was because I felt pressured to learn some Japanese from the shows I watched, and it took the fun out of it? I don't know.

message 7: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze It's probably distracting to both be reading and listening, your brain trying to process the Japanese while you read the english?

The Holy Terror Sort of? Sometimes I try to just listen without reading the subtitles to see if I can tell what's going on. I don't want to miss anything though so most of the time I end up reading them anyway. A lot of the time the subtitles are far enough behind the speech that I try to guess what they're saying before I see the translation too.

I actually downloaded a crap load of anime this past week, and I think I'll finally start watching it when Jesse is at work next week.

message 9: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze I thought the difference between the sub and the dub translations was crazy in the few I've watched so far. The sub seems to be more accurate? Less juvenile?

The Holy Terror They take a lot more liberties when they do a dub - they try to localize it and make it fit the mouth flaps. It's hard to do a direct translation between English and Japanese so they try their best to have it make sense and flow logically.

I've seen some really bad subs though. Some groups try to translate word for word, and that doesn't always work. And then you get the other groups that just try to understand what's going on without really translating. It's the groups in between those two that do the best work.

I think so far, my favorite group is Shinsen Subs, but they drop series once they're licensed. Stupid morals.

message 11: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Weird.

I was watching Cowboy Bebop last night. WHAT is up with that annoying child, Ed?! Oye! I've watched it out of sequence and hadn't seen her(?) before. I wanted to smack her!

Also watched a random episode of Fullmetal Alchemist. The dub didn't seem too bad for once. Then part of an episode of Ghost in the Machine--Lord, the Major seemed off compared to the movie. I gave up on it.

The Holy Terror I'm not a fan of Cowboy Bebop. The movie was ok but I think the series is over-hyped. Fullmetal Alchemist was one of the few series I watched dubbed, and it's also one of my favorites. It gets really sad and dark at times though. I think that would be a good series for you to try to stick with, I think you'd like it.

Do you mean Ghost in the Shell? I dropped that one too. Also over-hyped.

You need to look for newer stuff. The shows from the 80s and 90s kind of suck and probably look really cheesy now. Since you're reading the manga, you should check out the anime of Claymore. I really liked that one.

message 13: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Lol. Yes, Shell. D'oh!

I definitely want to watch Claymore. The fight scenes should look wicked animated. The art looks pretty good from the screencaps I've seen.

The Holy Terror I forgot, did I tell you about Crunchyroll? Since you can't download all that much it'd probably be perfect for you. Everything streams for free - I think they might show commercials like Hulu, but I'm not sure.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/user/shann... - that's my profile, you can tell I don't go on there much, I prefer to download in batches and watch anime in higher quality, but they have some series I can't get anywhere else.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/shanno... - that's the other site that I use for listing what I've watched. It's really useful for keeping track of what episode you're on, especially since sometimes I'll go months before I watch something.

I'm gonna go off and watch Kuroshitsuji II right now ... it looks like it's going to be some good naughty fun!

message 15: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Thanks! You are just FULL of helpful links! I'll bookmark it when I get home.

message 16: by The Holy Terror (last edited Oct 19, 2010 02:46PM) (new) - added it

The Holy Terror No problem! With all the time I spend on the internet I should know my way around, lol.

message 17: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Lol. And now with extra time on your hands, you'll be unstoppable!