Danielle's Reviews > All the King's Men

All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren

Jan 15, 08

bookshelves: fiction, my-favorites
Read in November, 2004

I truly love this book. It made a huge impact on me the first time I read it during my Senior year of high school. The second time I read it, a few years later, I was less madly in love with it, and even a little irked by the relentless moral superiority of the narrator, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it overall.
A couple of things I liked about it: 1) it's all about a good guy turned bad by politics. How can you not love that? 2) There were several stories-within-the-story going on, which I quite enjoyed following. 3) It had a beginning, a middle, and end. Elementary? Perhaps, but sometimes I come away from a piece of literature feeling like that was missing.
Warren's writing is beautifully engaging. As one reviewer pointed out, the images he paints just stay with you for long after; to me the mark of great writing. And for all the smugness of the narator (Jack? Is that right? It's been awhile) you can't help feeling invested in his plight. The evil of human nature coupled with the bonds of loyalty are all working against him. How will he prevail? Finally, the Governor Willie Stark is just a fabulously interesting character, so I really enjoyed spending time with him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the King's Men.