Heather C's Reviews > Lover Unleashed

Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: pdoc, book-challenge, paranormal-romance, ebook, read-2012, psychic-abilities, read-with-n, vampire, series, review-on-amazon, autographed
Read from February 26 to March 02, 2012

Whose story was this?!

What I Liked:

Manny and Payne. They were such a sweet couple; it's a shame they were cheated out of their own novel. I really loved Payne! I loved the way she spoke and how territorial she was of Manny. A few people told me how disappointed they were that she was such a weak female. But I didn't see it like that at all. She was pretty kick-ass every time she really needed to be. I always liked Manny and he didn't disappoint me either.

Qhuinn. I was actually hating him in the beginning with all his whoring, but I really started liking him after he decided to change his lifestyle. I'm so glad he has finally accepted he is gay and in love with Blay. Now the question is: Will they ever get the story that they both deserve?

Layla and her newfound relationship with Qhuinn. I especially like her after this quote: "I judge you not by the sex of whom you love . . . but how you love them."

The last 30% of the book. Stuff actually happened and I really liked the ending.

What I Did Not Like:

This book was not Manny and Payne's story. It was over taken by V and his "issues." I would like for once to have the book actually be about the main couple. I have been disappointed each time with the last few books in this series.

All the point of view shifts. It took forever for something to actually happen. And just when I thought something was about to happen it would shift to another character's POV. It would even switch back to V when Payne and Manny were in the middle of a sex scene. Now, apparently I used to like this style of writing but now i just find it annoying.

Vishous! He was acting like such a pussy and throwing childish tantrums throughout the entire book. I was sick of his "poor me" attitude and eventually started skimming scenes with him. He hogged the book from Manny and Payne.

That author was pimping Envy!! The third book of her Fallen Angels series. There was  absolutely no point for Veck to even be in this book. His parts in this story had nothing to do with the Brotherhood and were completely unnecessary and a waste of time...other than setting up the plot for his own book in a spin-off series.

To be honest, this was probably more of a 2.5 star book for me. And I probably would not have finished it if I would not have been reading it for a challenge.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unleashed.

02/27/2012
10.0% "So far so good...but nothing to brag about yet"
02/27/2012
13.0% "Ugh I hate Qhuinn! I wish I didn't have to read about him being such a whore all time!" 7 comments
02/28/2012
24.0% "V is such a fucking pussy. Get over it and move on! Nobody fucking cares!" 2 comments
02/28/2012 page 26
5.0% "Ugh! I fucking hate Qhuinn!! The only characters I like in this book are Manny and Payne...and they are hardly even in it!!"
03/02/2012
69.0% ""Whatever are you smiling for, Manuel," Payne said. "Perhaps anticipating some future instance of my hand upon your derrière?"" 3 comments
03/02/2012
79.0% ""Yes. I am in love with him. And if you try to dissuade me by the fact that I have not lived yet enough to judge, I say unto you . . . fuck off. I need not know the world to realize my heart's desire." ~ Payne to V"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Jess (new) - rated it 1 star

Jess I thought Qhuinn was one of the better parts. Payne bored me to tears. Loved reading about V but it made me question why it couldnt have been worked out in his book.

Heather C Omfg. You gave it 1 star?!?!

message 3: by Jess (new) - rated it 1 star

Jess I try to balance out the other peoples lies LMAO

I believe people are still giving the books in this series 4 & 5 stars because the series WAS freaking awesome up until Vs book.

I have found them all pretty shit afterwards. I have seen normally strict and fair reviewers still giving this book 4-5 stars when it really crap elements.

I probably should have gave it 2 stars

Heather C I'm 16% and nothing has happened

Heather C I'm 16% and nothing has happened

message 6: by Jess (new) - rated it 1 star

Jess You will get to 26% and nothing much will be going on hahaha!

Heather C Lol. I'm to 40% an liking it a little better

message 8: by Jess (new) - rated it 1 star

Jess I will discuss it more with you when you heroically finish

Heather C Will you give me a cookie if I finish?

Leigh LOL...how's it going, HC?

Heather C I'm at 43% I think. I really like Manny and Payne but I'm so sick of V's tantrums taking over the story. He's had his book, he needs to get over himself. And he treats Jane like crap. So yeah, not liking him. Lol. But love Manny and Payne

Leigh Heather C wrote: "I'm at 43% I think. I really like Manny and Payne but I'm so sick of V's tantrums taking over the story. He's had his book, he needs to get over himself. And he treats Jane like crap. So yeah, not ..."

lol!! well, i'm glad you are at least able to make it thru this one so far, and yeah, Manny and Payne are a good couple, but i agree with you...there wasn't enough of them.

Heather C ...and that is why I'm fed up with Ward's writing. It's not really romance like it once was. She makes you wait years for a character's story and you never really get it when they finally get their book. It's completely overshadowed with other drama that I don't really care about

Leigh Heather C wrote: "...and that is why I'm fed up with Ward's writing. It's not really romance like it once was. She makes you wait years for a character's story and you never really get it when they finally get their..."

well, i don't mind all the background stuff at all, but i do wish she would just make the books longer and give us more on the main characters...i think she shortchanged both Phury/Cormia and Payne/Manny as a result. and her dragging out of Qhuinn and Blay's story is frickin' killing me!!

Heather C Yeah. I'm just annoyed by it all!! Did you read Envy yet?

Leigh Heather C wrote: "Yeah. I'm just annoyed by it all!! Did you read Envy yet?"

yep! i liked it the best of the three so far.

Heather C That's good bc I actually like those.

Leigh Heather C wrote: "That's good bc I actually like those."

oh good!! :)

message 19: by Jess (new) - rated it 1 star

Jess Manny and Payne..Zzzzzzzzzzzz sorry I started to snooze when I saw them again, what were we talking about again?

Heather C Hahahaha I like them! I figured out that I can stay awake while reading if I start clicking forward as soon as I get to a scene from V's POV

Marisa 1st of all, no calling V names!!! That's just wrong! U not getting a cookie from me!!!
2nd it is true that there's not enough Manny & Payne. :( But still it was not as bad as Phury's bk !!!
But I do love the background stories, love all the bits with the other Brothers and their Shellans:)

Heather C Oh god! How did I even finish Phury's book?!

Chris Heather C wrote: "Oh god! How did I even finish Phury's book?!"

Lots of skimming? :)

There are two excellent fanfics out there - one in which Butch and V get together (and V is waaaay less annoying than he became in the "real" series), and another in which Qhuinn and Blay get together.

Heather C Thanks Chris. I already have them both on my computer somewhere. Haven't read either of them though

Chris Heh, then you can delete the email I just sent. ;)

Heather C Hey no! Now I don't have to look for them. Thanks. :)

Marisa Chris u too?!? V is just a concerned brother !!!

Marisa Send it to me please Hc !

Heather C I will, M

message 30: by Jess (new) - rated it 1 star

Jess send it to me as well - pretty please :)

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ good review HC...i agree w/a lot of ur points.

Heather C Thanks, Sharon. I would have liked it so much better if it would have actually been about Manny and Payne

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ yea unfortunately a lot of these long series are trying to fit everyone in. its too bad....i actually like a little bit of an update but not when it takes over the story.

~V~ Great review HC! I did really like this one..as i pretty much have all of them! LOL!..but i agree w/ a LOT of what you said!! :)

MandyM I actually haven't read this one but all your comments about the books not actually being about the couples resonates with my feelings about the last few in the series so I've stopped reading them now.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

you write the best reviews...
my poor V got bashed in this one, LOL!

Heather C Heather M. wrote: "you write the best reviews...
my poor V got bashed in this one, LOL!"

Thanks! but he was so annoying. And he was so wrong to Jane! If I was Jane I would have been trying to get into Manny's pants!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL...well he was going through alot! jane gets on my nerves, to be honest. he needs someone like me!

Heather C I think that's called jealousy lol. I did end up liking him in the end but I think my skimming helped that. Lol

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

True.

LOL!

Heather C Lmao. That's not gonna get you V!

~V~ You know what!? I just went back and read my review and i have no clue why i said the things i said..i absolutely agree w/ the things you said in your review HC but in my review i said the complete opposite!! I feel like deleting it all! LOL! I would still star it the same..or maybe drop it down to 4 stars instead of 5 cuz i still really liked it a lot but i'm wondering if i wasn't just on a high right after reading it so i wasn't really thinking well! LOL!

Heather C Well you liked it right. So that's all that really matters. And you can always add a ETA (edited to add) to your review. Lol

~V~ Heather C wrote: "Well you liked it right. So that's all that really matters. And you can always add a ETA (edited to add) to your review. Lol"

Yeah..i did really like it....and yeah..i guess i could do that! :)

Heather C Lol sure ya can!

Leigh I agree with the ladies....great, honest review, HC. I did like the book a lot as well, but not as much as previous BDB books. And for me, i actually enjoyed the time soent with V and Jane since i felt like he was given the shaft in his book, but I disliked how since so much time was put with everyone else, she just wrapped up the ending with Manny and Payne with a neat little bow. I feel like she pulled a LKH there. I wanted to hear about Manny and Payne deciding for him not to go thru the regression...not just to be told about it. I just feel like all that was too glossed over b/c she didn't leave enough room in the book to explore it further.

Heather C Leigh, I was never big fan of V so I think that just made it worse for me. I hope we get the old JR Ward back with the next book, but I highly doubt it

Leigh Heather C wrote: "Leigh, I was never big fan of V so I think that just made it worse for me. I hope we get the old JR Ward back with the next book, but I highly doubt it"

Yeah, I hope so, but I am nervous too with all the storylines going on.

Leigh And I am also VERY nervous about Qhuay, b/c apparently they will be tortured even more in this one. SMDH.

« previous 1