Kristy's Reviews > Beastly

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Feb 01, 11

Read in January, 2011

So, I am very, VERY relieved that I enjoyed this. I was beginning to wonder if I just didn't like Fairy Tale Re-tellings, but this one pulled me out of the slump!
I am so glad that Alex Flinn stuck with the "Beauty and the Beast" story... She made it modern, but didn't change the BIG details.

Our Beast, Kyle is a high schooler, a very rich, very good looking (as he describes himself, so obviously he's totally modest right?!?!?) one. He values looks and money over everything. He can't even look at "Ugly" people. There are beneath him. One day he messes up, he invites a "goth/non-pretty" Girl to a dance, but he is tricking her. All he wants to do is just laugh in her face.... Not such a nice guy. But, he screws himself over because she wants her 'comeuppance'. She's a witch, she turns him into a Beast. He loathes himself, he thinks it is the worst possible thing that could have ever happened. But, what do you expect from the child of a TV News Dad who would rather risk his child's life than to have him looking like a monster, a Dad who ships his kid of to a house to live alone with the exception of a maid and tutor. He isolates his own child, so he doesn't effect his image. Pathetic. But, our Beast has a possible out of his condition-to find true love and have her kiss him true loves kiss. He thinks it is impossible. But, circumstances fall to his advantage when a drug dealer comes along and tries to rob him. Instead of just taking a beating like a man, the dead-beat Dad offers his Daughter in return. He GIVES AWAY HIS DAUGHTER!!!! Ack! We get to witness the Daughter, Lindy and our beast (who has now renamed himself Adrian) grow to become friends and possibly even love each other? Will she be the one to break the curse? Is it to late?

At First, I was a little thrown off by the Chat's, but they grew on me. A little Cheesy at times, but it wasn't a huge part of the story.. it didn't make or break anything.

I am uber excited to see the Movie!
Here's the trailer

[image error]
Desktop Nexus: Wallpapers > Entertainment Wallpapers > Movies Wallpaper

why does he look like that though?? In the book he really is a beast, you know the hairy kind....

Something along these lines

And, NPH is the blind teacher!!!

AND one of the Olsen twins is the Witch... she is creepy though!!!
Ok, off my movie rant....
seriously I think you should read this if you
a: like fairy tale retellings
b: are into coming of age, realizing the importance of living type books
c. like beauty and the beast
d. or if your just curious about it

Sidenote: I really don't like the cover on this one. I understand what is represents, but it didn't do its job to reel me in (being the cover judger that I am). I wish it was more modern looking, because the story being told is a Way modernized version of the classis, 'Beauty and the Beast". So I wish the cover matched that. I like it a little more now that I have read the book and understand the meaning behind it, but they could have been Way more creative with it!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beastly.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~Tina~ Great review! Loved this book and I can't wait to see the movie:D

Lucy I don't know why they changed the appearance of the beast for the movie either. Looking forward to seeing the movie though.
Glad you liked the book. Great review!

Kristy i'm still looking foward to it too :)

Arlene I need to read this before the movie. Time's running out. GAH!

Jessica Great review Kristy! I liked this, too :)

Um, the "Beast" looks just wrong. :-/

Lora ^^Exactly what Jess said. ;)

message 7: by Brooke (last edited Feb 01, 2011 05:23AM) (new) - added it

Brooke Great review Kristy!

I can't wait for the movie! I'm buying a copy of this at Borders on Thursday.

Beast is different to what I expected, but I can't complain. I love the cast choice too ;D Alex Pettyfer is a spunk. I believe it's Mary Kate Olsen in the film too, she's always been a bit more 'out there' than Ashley with her character choices. Oh - and Neil Patrick Harris!! <3 I adore him!

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim I wasn't blown away by it, but I'm interested in seeing the movie.

Kristy I think I like the book all the more just because there is a movie coming out!!!

Kristy Brooke wrote: "Great review Kristy!

I can't wait for the movie! I'm buying a copy of this at Borders on Thursday.

I am super excited to see NPH in a serious role!!!!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Awesome review! I didn't really dig the book because I thought the guy sounded kinda girly BUT I'm uber excited about the movie because I'm sure they fixed that :) (i know... I'm picky)

You should check out Francescia Lia Block's "The Rose and the Beast". That is my favorite book of retold fairy tales :)

Kristy I know what you mean..... it's good to be picky!!! I'll check that other book out :)

Shera (Book Whispers) Great review. I"ve been meaning to read this one for a couple of years now, but now that the movie is coming out I have to.

Kristy ^^^ Yes you do :)

Laura Glynn Is this part of a series?

Kristy I don't think so....

Laura Glynn In that case I'll add to the reading list!! I'm trying to steer clear of series, there's too many books sitting beside my bed!!

Kristy I looked.. it's definitely not a series!!! It was a quick read... I've got books creeping out of every room in my house, it's a little ridiculous! :)

Jamie Obviously it is not a series i like the review i will watch the movie it's beauty and the beast:D

Yuval Great review!! I absolutely can't WAIT till the movie comes out!!! Alex pettyfer <3

Claire Blind Reader I love ur choice for cast. Especially what the beast should look like and who the blind teacher should be!