Jess's Reviews > Kitty Kitty

Kitty Kitty by Michele Jaffe

Jul 28, 11

Read from April 08 to 11, 2011

I wasn't too keen on Michele Jaffe's first book in the Bad Kitty series, aptly titled Bad Kitty, because I found parts of the plot a little too ridiculous and the humor a little too in your face. The instant messaging conversations also were enormously distracting, adding "comedic" value while bringing nothing to the plot. Altogether, it was a mediocre book, though I must admit it was a fun and entertaining read. I wasn't even considering picking up the second book, Kitty Kitty, until I discovered that it's set in Venice! Having spent several months in Venice in college, I could not NOT read it. This book was quite similar to the first, featuring all three of the irritating aspects I mentioned above. I was also disappointed to see the return of Jas's three best friends (who hopped on a plane to be with Jas in Vegas in the first book; can you guess what happens in this one?) and cousins, whose capers are highly unrealistic. It was nice to read a little about Jas's traveling through the city, but it appears as though the book was set in Venice just because the city has a mysterious air about it, making it an appropriate backdrop for a murder mystery; the first book takes place in Vegas with similar effect. These two cities with sinister characteristics make both novels; without Venice and Vegas, the storyline would not have been enough to hold either book together. Overall, there is so much about this book, and the first, that I find terribly annoying and painfully unfunny. Yet Jas is an alluring character, much like the cities in which her stories are set. I have no desire to read anything else Michele Jaffe has written, but I am inexplicably excited to read the next (non-existent) book in the Bad Kitty series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty Kitty.