Lyndi's Reviews > Hitty, Her First Hundred Years

Hitty, Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field

4204060
Oct 11, 10

** spoiler alert ** This book was interesting and I was not sure about it at first. I normally wouldn't choose to read a book about the life of a doll, but once I got going it was kind of neat. I have always loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and that time period so I loved reading in this book about the Prebles and how Phoebe snuck Hitty into church with her and accidently left her! It really got me thinking about the really old dolls in those days and all of the adventures they went on. I'm not sure that they were necessarily aware or could retell the story like in this book, but it is amazing to think about all the places one doll could have been. It was also kind of neat to read about the Prebles versus the Pryce family. Hitty got to experience the life of an average family with the Prebles and then was introduced into the Pryce family where she had new fancy clothes and lived a completely different lifestyle. I also think it is just amazing how Hitty in some way or another kept returning to the Prebles in some way or another. Even at the end she ended up back in the Preble household even though they didn't live there anymore. It just seems that she was meant to be with that family somehow or someway. The ending of the book leaves you wondering what will be next for Hitty. I am hoping that someday, Phoebe Preble's daughter or grandaughter will walk into that antique store and buy her whitout even knowing that that had one day been their mom or grandmother's doll.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitty, Her First Hundred Years.