Nomes's Reviews > One Lonely Degree

One Lonely Degree by C.K. Kelly Martin

Nov 06, 10

bookshelves: crushing-on-the-writing, i-own, 2010, faves-of-2010, quietly-awesome, hidden-gem-i-love-you-so, tissue-box-books
Read from October 10 to 11, 2010

4.5
I absolutely loved this. beautiful and seamlessly written. It made me ache.
I absolutely loved this. Beautiful and seamlessly written. It made me ache.

I loved Finn - I so related to her - quietly, beautifully angsty and unassuming and genuine - a stunning portrait of a teen muddling through life.

As for Jersey - what a dynamic relationship - so much to read in between the lines. I am crushing on him hard. HARD.

This is contemporary relationships crafted at it's best. Friendship and family and love.

The ending - just so well done. This book has lingered and I keep feeling the urge to go back and flip through it's pages.

The premise may sound ordinary, but the book definitely is not. If you are a fan of Sarah Dessen, Elizabeth Scott or contemp YA in general - this should be screaming out at you from a must-read list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Lonely Degree.

10/10/2010 page 156
61.0% "this is really so very very good. seamless prose"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic I never heard of this book before. I'm adding it to my list!

Nomes Oh - it's really really good. i read it in one day and have a huge crush on Jersy (hot!). and the emotions are so understated which makes them more powerful.

Albie46 Oooh, this is one of my new fav authors, although she's only written three books so far it think. Did you read her other books? I really liked this other one I read from her The Lighter Side of Life and Death by C.K. Kelly Martin
I've yet to read her other one.

Nomes Oh, yeah - I've pre-ordered the paperback of that one, can't wait. I've read her first novel "I Know It's Over" - it was such a great male POV, very different to this one - but I think she may be a fan of bittersweet heart-ache kind of endings.

Albie46 OH, definitely the bittersweet heart-ache endings!
I'm getting to I know it's over very soon!
I did really like this one too, just probably not as much as the first one I read of hers. I read it cover to cover, just like One lonely degree.
You cant really put them down I find.

message 6: by Janina (new) - added it

Janina This book has been on my wishlist forever. I really like Dessen and Scott, and it does sound like something I would love. I think I'll put it on my wishlist for Christmas ;).

message 7: by Jade (new) - added it

Jade Another great recommendation. I just finished it and I adored it!! So achingly beautiful.

Nomes Oh, I know. Funnily enough - I just finished a re-read of this one, ah, two nights ago. Love it so. And then - bizarrely, the day after I finished reading it (the 2nd time) I woke up to an email from C.K. (!) telling me she saw the mention on my blog and saying thanks for loving it and "getting" it :)