Brittney Musick's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

I have heard so many good things about this book, but I put off picking it up for a while because I knew that it would be sad. However, despite the breaking of my heart, I still found If I Stay to be a great story.

The prose was wonderful and the layers of the story were terrific. It was such a rich story with wonderful characters.

I really enjoyed how the story was told. The pain of the present mixed with Mia's memories of the past helped to turn what could have easily just been a very depressing story into something deeper.

I felt connected with Mia, as if I knew her, her family and her friends, which made the loss of her family all the more heartbreaking.

I was have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the way the story ended, though I could understand why it ended as it did. I think my disappointment was only wrought out of a need for more since this was a very quick read, despite the heaviness of the plot.

Now, I'm just anxious to get my hands on the sequel, Where She Went. I can only hope that it's just as amazing as this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.

Quotes Brittney Liked

Gayle Forman
“I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard.”

Gayle Forman
“I'm not sure this is a world I belong in anymore. I'm not sure that I want to wake up.”

Gayle Forman
“Fake it 'till you make it.”

Gayle Forman
“Bribes are the glue that's kept teenagers and parents connected for generations”

Gayle Forman
“I just wanted to tell you that I understand if you go. It’s okay if you have to leave us. It’s okay if you want to stop fighting.”

05/02/2011 page 1
1.0% "Finally getting around to reading this book!"
05/02/2011 page 98
50.0% "Halfway finished!"
05/02/2011 page 136
69.0% "This book is kind of breaking my heart."
05/02/2011 page 196