Brittney Musick's Reviews > What Happened to Goodbye

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

May 30, 11

bookshelves: ebook, audiobook, read-2011, 1-young-adult, books-i-own
Read from May 29 to 30, 2011

Any time there is a new Sarah Dessen book coming out, I am always thrilled. I first fell in love with her writing when I read Just Listen. It and The Truth About Forever remain to be my favorites, but there's always something so comforting about picking up a Sarah Dessen book. I just know that it's going to be an enjoyable, fun read, and What Happened To Goodbye is no exception.

One of the things I really enjoy about Sarah Dessen books is that I can always find something to relate to, and I felt that a lot with What Happened To Goodbye. Divorce is such a difficult situation no matter how the relationship dissolves. For Mclean, not only does she lose her home with her mother and father, but her whole world is changed by her mother's actions. Her anger is understandable, as is the confusion about her identity.

With her father's new career, which has them moving often, as he goes from one place to another to try to whip restaurants into shape, Mclean has begun creating new personas for herself in each new place. However, upon arriving in Lakeview, her plans for a her identity are thwarted, and so she has no choice but to be herself.

Typically, I find myself somewhat more focused on seeing the swoon-worthy guys of Sarah Dessen's books, but despite how much I loved Dave, I was really drawn to Mclean herself. Even though Just Listen and The Truth About Forever are my favorite Dessen books, I often found myself quite frustrated with Annabel and Macy because it always seemed to take them a while to really find the strength and voice to speak up for themselves.

Mclean, however, does not have this same problem, at least as far as her frustrations go. She isn't necessarily an open book and keeps parts of her pain from her parents divorce stored away, namely through being someone else, but I found it satisfying, though sometimes cringe-worthy, that she was not shy about letting her parents know how she felt and where she wanted to be.

As always, there is a terrific cast of colorful people to fill out Mclean's life. Opal's resistance to change in Luna Blu, and Heather's lack of tact filter as well as Deb's loneliness and Riley's guy troubles were interesting extras along with Dave's strict parents and his struggle just to be a regular guy.

Whenever I'm looking for a book that focuses more on real life problems and relationships, Sarah Dessen is always my go-to author. There's something so comforting about snuggling up with a book, knowing I'll find something to relate to and that I'll feel frustrated, angry, sad and amused throughout the course of her books but will ultimately walk away feeling satisfied.

Also, I'm always thrilled to see cameos of characters from her other books. It's like a treasure hunt every time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Goodbye.

Quotes Brittney Liked

Sarah Dessen
“When you can't save yourself or your heart, it helps to be able to save face.”

Sarah Dessen
“Two a.m.' He swallowed, then said, "You know. The person you can call at two a.m. and, no matter what, you can count on them. Even if they're asleep or it's cold or you need to be bailed out of jail...they'll come for you. It's like, the highest level of friendship.”

Sarah Dessen
“Your past is always your past. Even if you forget it, it remembers you.”
tags: past

Sarah Dessen
“There's something nice about the silence of a car ride in the dark, going home. When you were tired of the radio and conversation, and it was okay to just be alone with your thoughts and the road ahead. If you're that comfortable with someone, you don't have to talk.”

Sarah Dessen
“Oh for God's sake,' Heather said, 'I wish you two would just go out, fail miserably as a couple, and get it over with.”

Sarah Dessen
“It was amazing how you could get so far from where you'd planned, and yet find it was exactly were you needed to be.”

Sarah Dessen
“Accepting all the good and bad about someone. It's a great thing to aspire to. The hard part is actually doing it.”

05/29/2011 page 10