Natalie's Reviews > The Jumbee

1969199
Oct 10, 2010

liked it
Read from October 10 to 14, 2010

In a Sentence: The Jumbee is a suspenseful, well-written tale that puts a masterful spin on an old classic.

My Thoughts

When I was first approached to review The Jumbee, I was both excited and hesitant. You see, I LOVE Gaston Leroux's The Phantom of the Opera, along with the 2004 film directed by Joel Schumacher. I was thrilled to find that a modern, young adult retelling of this wonderful story was going to be published, but at the same time, I didn't really think anyone could do such a beautiful story justice.

With this book, I was happily proven wrong. The Jumbee is a must-read for any Phantom of the Opera fans--whether you like the book, the movie, or both! As you can tell from the first line above, the story starts off with a bang. It immediately drew me in, and I had no trouble reading the majority of the book in one sitting.

Pamela Keyes did an absolutely fabulous job of weaving the traditional story of the Phantom of the Opera into the culture and legends of Cariba. Choosing such an exotic setting was brilliant! Not only did the storyline keep me interested, but I also loved learning about some of the "tall tales" entwined with the Caribbean setting. I was very surprised and impressed with the author's creativity!

The best part about The Jumbee is that Keyes managed to put an entirely new twist on the story, but at the same time, she stayed true to the original. The main characters were intriguing and well-developed, and I could definitely see traces of their Phantom of the Opera counterparts.

Lucky for you guys, The Jumbee hits stores today! That means you can run out and grab your own copy, and see what I'm talking about. Personally, I'll be keeping an eye out to see what else Pamela Keyes has in store for us in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jumbee.

10/13/2010 page 80