Emmett's Reviews > Boneshaker

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

M_50x66
Oct 28, 10

Read from October 17 to 25, 2010

The epilogue captured what I really liked about this book. At the end, Priest warned against writing her to explain how she'd gotten Seattle history all wrong. She knew she's done it all wrong.

I was impressed how well she actually knew Seattle history, to the point of using a Sanborn map (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanborn_...) to help develop her plot. She actually took Seattle history, dumped it out on the floor and remixed it. That's wonderful.

The plot/characters/action is good too. Very filmesque, and that isn't an insult, just saying it fits into a particular box.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boneshaker.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhenda (new)

Rhenda Strub Really disappointing. Must be a very slow year for Hugo nominations.

Emmett I've really been impressed by her short fiction, I'm hoping for the best.

On the other hand, they literally hand those out to just anyone really. Kind of like the Grammy's. ;)

message 3: by Rhenda (new)

Rhenda Strub What? You mean an massive underground drill didn't run amuck releasing poison gas that turned people into zombies? Damn. Seattle history just got a lot less interesting for me.

Emmett Rhenda wrote: "What? You mean an massive underground drill didn't run amuck releasing poison gas that turned people into zombies? Damn. Seattle history just got a lot less interesting for me."

No, that actually did happen. But she got the geography totally wrong. *rollz eyes* That of course happened in Bellevue, not Seattle. And, the wall is now the outershell of the Factoria Mall.