Kristina Klausser's Reviews > The Purity Myth: How America's Obsession with Virginity is Hurting Young Women

The Purity Myth by Jessica Valenti

Oct 10, 10

I found this book both enlightening and horrifying. I had a very general idea of many of these topics but wasn't aware of most of the specifics. My school district (like most of the country) promoted abstinence only education and I still see (I graduated from high school more than 4 years ago) its affects on my friends. One moment I kept thinking of as I read this book was some sort of activity in which a girl had to go up in front of an assembly and chew up an oreo and spit it into a cup. That was used to illustrate the fact that no one wants your chewed up oreos...or something. All I remember thinking was that this was a very odd way of teaching.

Anyway, as a result of my own experiences (and those of friends) I believe we must all work to push accurate, comprehensive sex education and this book cements that. A must read for anyone who wants to better understand the mess that abstinence only policies have thrown our country into and how we can fix it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Purity Myth.