Shawn's Reviews > One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Jun 11, 07

This strikes me as so overrated, and disappointingly juvenile in its fundamental point of view -- "THEY" are out to get you, everyone in concert, just to spoil your good time. Ball-cutters are bad; hookers who fly their breasts free on a fishing boat are good; real men know the difference.

None of these characters seem real, and the concerns of the novel -- freedom, social limits, the individual and the machine -- are presented so stupidly, in such a high schoolish manner, that it's hard to take it seriously. There is very little that's human here.

The prose here -- as in Kesey's other overrated novel, Sometimes a Great Notion -- manages to veer from muscular and moving, to overwrought and ridiculous, sometimes in the same paragraph.

It's unsurprising that this book would be popular with high school and college students. What's baffling to me is that it's held in higher regard by others, taught as a modern classic, etc.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Nick good to see what YOU picked out as "important" for this piece of literary genius.

Maia It's fun. It's funny. It perfectly conveys Kesey's point of view, and, even if that doesn't happen to precisely match up with your own opinions about life, isn't that conveyance the purpose of literature, in the end?

Nick exactly, but i don't see Kesey being cynical about your point of view because of it's difference.

message 4: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Leger Nick wrote: "good to see what YOU picked out as "important" for this piece of literary genius."

Isn't that the point of a review?

Don Incognito I don't know about McMurphy, but Chief Bromden seems real enough to me.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Steed I thought the reason it all seemed unreal and sometimes ridiculous was because it was told from the point of view of highly medicated and mentally ill patients. It has been a while since I read it though.

Don Incognito But you're right. Chief Bromden is considered an unreliable narrator because he's mentally ill.

message 8: by Md (new) - rated it 2 stars

Md I agree with you completely. The story to me is almost pointless, and I can't see how on earth the story would become known to be a classic. Then again, some classics are strange, like the Godfather movies for example. It's strange, and like you said, not realistic and highly overrated. I was very disappointed.

message 9: by Soy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soy Lecithin mmaybe shawn hasnt understood the deeper meaning of the book.this is the one and only excuse i can give ...