Crystal's Reviews > Solid

Solid by Shelley Workinger

Oct 13, 10

bookshelves: arc, ebook-kindle, for-review, read-oct-2010
Read from October 10 to 12, 2010

Solid is a very intriguing novel. I was sucked right into it from the beginning. Getting to know Clio, Jack, Bliss, Melinda, Garrett was really interesting. Clio is the main character, but the other tie in closely with her and really make the friendship aspect of the book work well. The characters are well-done teenagers, they behave in typical teenager ways even with their extraordinary gifts.

The premise is set up very well, these kids have special abilities and they have been collected together for research and for the government to make up for a doctor creating this difference in them before they were even born. The set-up is well-done and not overdone. Ms. Workinger does a beautiful job launching you into the story and building up the premise as she goes. I never felt bogged down in the story at all. Engaging dialogue keeps it going and entertaining.

As the premise sets itself up, the characters begin their interactions and the reader gets to know each of them primarily through Clio's eyes and Clio learns more about herself in the process. Of course to make it interesting there is much more to the book, but I don't want to give anything away, so suffice it to say the plot is extremely interesting and keeps you engaged throughout the book.

I would actually say my only complaint would be that it's too short. I wish things could have developed more, but I guess that is what the next two books are for. Since I enjoyed Solid and it's characters so much I will definitely be checking out Settled and then Sound. I look forward to more adventures and friendship with Clio, Bliss, Melinda, Jack, Garrett and Alexis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solid.

10/10/2010 page 32