Hope's Reviews > The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Mar 03, 08

Read in March, 2008

So - this review is just a whole bunch of my thoughts about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The first two paragraphs are somewhat cohesive, and the third paragraph sort-of means what I want it to,and there are definitley parts of it that could have been explained better, but from there...its just a mess of my thoughts. So anyway,I'm just warning you.

I had to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for school, and i really hated reading it. In fact, I didn't even read some of it - I looked up what happened on the internet. I just couldn't read any more of it....it was so bad. The story was so ...long. And boring. I was really perplexed as to why it is referred to as "The Great American Novel".

But, thats not the point. Even though i hated reading it, I ended up loving the book, if that makes any sense...? Anyway, the book had so many important themes, but one that stuck out to me was religion. I found that everything in this book could be tied to every aspect of every different religion. For example, the characters represented different types of religions, and the land and the river represented heaven and hell because everything good happened on the river and everything bad happened on land. But then again, this is still not my point.

Looking at Mark Twain's(the author) life, I found that he saw Christianity differently from most Christians. He saw that we're judgmental and hypocritical, even though we see God with a "Big Stick". Mark Twain saw how we talk about and judge coworkers behind their backs, yet we say we're not judgmental.He saw how we see God with a "Big Stick". What I mean is, how we see God having a "Big Stick" about sinning, and how much he hates sin. Now, don't get me wrong - God does discipline us for our sins,and he does hate sin, but what I mean is....we see God too rigidly, and we forget how much he loves us. When I think about how much God loves us, I think about the song "Praise You in this Storm" by Casting Crowns. There is a line in that song that says "And every tear I cry, You hold in you hand". I think that line is a perfect example of God because he does give us trials and tests (hence, the tear) but he holds those hardships in his hand.

I realized that meaning of Huckleberry Finn is about all of that. I think what Mark Twain was trying to get across was that we all need to take another look at how we live our lives while claiming to be Christians, and how we see Christianity.

More thoughts....
Because of the always visible theme of religion in Huckleberry Finn, it made me start to think about how I see Christians. I saw what Mark Twain saw.I kept seeing Christians talking about fellow coworkers behind their backs, and speculating about them and being so judgmental. They would even make small remarks like "I know I shouldn't be talking about her", and it's like it went right over their heads, because they didn't stop.

I think that as Christians, we don't notice that kind of stuff as much as non-Christians do, and I think that is what turns them away from Christianity. They see how much we Christians think of ourselves, and then they see how hypocritical we can be. Imagine if a non-Christian overheard the scenario above? What would they think?

Anyway, I found out why this book is called "The Great American Novel".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda Good Review...I loved this book too...I like you insights alot

message 2: by Manda (new)

Manda That comment was by Michael...I automatically logged in as Manda...weird

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda I was so upset when I saw it said that comment was by me! I hate having my name attached to something that says "I like you insights..." AAH! (I know it's just a typo, Michael's grammar isn't THAT bad...) :)

And Hope, I liked your review. I somehow got through HS and college without ever having to read that book, so maybe I should pick it up now. I could relate to some of your feelings about how we behave as Christians. It is frustrating to hear "I know I shouldn't be talking about her but..." How much worse is it to acknowledge that you're doing something wrong but then keep on doing it versus just "slipping"? And yet people do that a lot. Most of us (all of us, really) would benefit from living with a little more humility....

Mary I agree. A lot of these ideas popped into my head while reading this book. The repetition of Huck considering what he was taught was right by the widow and Miss Watson. He choose instead to do "wrong" and in choosing his own way he followed the "right" course more often than not. While I don't know if the term Huckleberry Friend came before or after this book, Huck proves time and again that he is a true friend. Never leaving anyone behind or choosing to save himself over the well being of another. Perhaps if everyone, Christian, Muslim, Jewish etc. really focused on those precepts of their beliefs we would see a lot less hypocrisy.