Kelli Lee's Reviews > Small Favor

Small Favor by Jim Butcher

Dec 13, 10

bookshelves: frolicking-faeries, fantasy-noir, magic-abound, urban-fantasy, witches-warlocks-druids-oh-my
Recommended for: anyone and everyone
Read from December 10 to 13, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Shockingly enough, I actually teared up in a Dresden novel. This is a testament to the three dimensional characters that Jim Butcher has created. I've grown rather fond of the lot. It's as if they live and breathe, jumping off the pages. Anyhow, back to the cause of my few tears: Butcher in the voice of Harry summed up to a T exactly what waiting for a loved one in a hospital feels like. It was this described experience that induced a few tears to swim around my eyes. The way he described the slow ticking of a clock in the waiting room, the eerie quiet encasing you. . . Couldn't have summed up such a sorrowful, heart-renching, unfortunate experience better myself. I'm quickly approaching the last book (#12) and a part of me wants to slow down because I don't want to have to wait 5 plus months till the next book's release. That's how much I love this series.

And I probably should touch upon my soapbox rant over the vampire laws and courts etc. in my review for White Night. Not sure if it was the Wheaties slash combination spinach I ingested in preparation for Small Favor or the fact that Butcher refrained from mentioning the intricate rules and laws pertaining to the fey and vampires, but my brain was able to function properly and absorb the reading material in Small Favor, which thankfully, I didn't have to question my intelligence or lack there of during the reading of this novel. I'm pretty sure it was the latter; besides, I detest spinach unless it's well hidden in dips or in spanakopita, but that's neither here nor there.

Small Favor mostly dealt with the Denarians and brought back Ivy, which I did enjoy and of course, foreshadowed the gift of Sight - a recently acquired skill for Harry. I can't wait to see how that turns out in Turn Coat.

All in all, Small Favor was an enjoyable read with plenty of action sans vampires - *blowing kisses your way Butcher for that small favor*.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Favor.