William Herschel's Reviews > The King of Elfland's Daughter

The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany

Jan 03, 2012

bookshelves: maybe-like-gormenghast, scifi-fantasy, kobo, 2012
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 02, 2012

I originally thought this book would be more about marriage and romantic love but it's not. It's a book about Time and the unknown.

The effect is interesting. A lot of the characters in the book won't even look the way towards Elfland, the land where a day is eternal and everything is beautiful and suspended in magic. They don't acknowledge it even exists. But soon, some of the people of the village decide they need magic in their village to put themselves on the map. And little by little it trickles until there is too much and they want it gone, but everything eventually gets suspended in the flood of it.

I wasn't too crazy for the way Dunsany tells a story at first. It took me until most of the book was over to realize how much it had started to captivate me in its strange way. There's epic journeys and trolls and magic but they all feel out of reach and unknown. It wasn't an exciting book. It was more strange and thoughtful. It's a curious book and my thoughts or what I got about it don't seem very sure -- other than whatever it was, I liked it.

I'm interested in reading more fantasy classics.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Elfland's Daughter.

01/01/2012 "posting from my ereader... tedious but cool! not sure what to make of Dunsany. i dont mind the «flowery-ness» but i dislike that im being told the story and not eing shown. also, what a strange historical diversion."