Marcus Gipps's Reviews > Major Operation

Major Operation by James White

Oct 10, 10

Read in October, 2010 — I own a copy

The third of the Sector General novels is actually a collection of interconnected short stories, and feels like it. This is old fashioned SF, and thus really rather fun. There are some huge gaps between the stories/chapters, and the reader has to work out what is being left out or implied. I can only imagine what it must have been like to read these spread over the five years of initial publication - although, of course, they may have been edited for this edition. Having said that, there are some recaps which feel pretty clunky within a novel, but which would have been vital for a short story reader. Anyway, despite the fractured feel of the book, it actually all hangs together very entertainingly, with White's normal mix of human-alien interaction, mysterious illnesses that require a leap of instinct to fix, and a rather appealing pacifism. His books really are quite unlike anything else I've read in SF (although I'm sure there's lots like it out there), and although I'm reaching the end of my ability to overdose right now, I will look out for the remaining titles in preparation for another session in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Major Operation.