Bianca van Willigenburg's Reviews > Dance of Death

Dance of Death by Douglas Preston

Nov 30, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fiction-thriller
Read from November 22 to 28, 2010

Dance of Death is the sixth in the Pendergast series and the second in the Diogenes trilogy. Although Preston and Child almost fall back in their standard formula of having one policeman or, like in this book, policewoman, hinder Pendergast's investigation I like this book about the same as Brimstone.

Unlike in books 1 to 4, however, the policewoman who hinders Pendergast isn't dumb or ignorant, even if she's set up by Pendergast's evil brother Diogenes. Captain Laura Hayward was introduced in Reliquary and made her reappearance in Brimstone as, amongst other things, D'Agosta's love interest. What struck me most about her is that in Reliquary she seemed to like Pendergast, or at least she didn't dislike him. In Brimstone and now in this book he really annoys her because he doesn't follow the rules of lawenforcement.

Preston and Child once again switch between characters. In Brimstone the reader mainly followed Pendergast, which I liked better. Occasionally we follow a character for a bit without function it seems, although I suspect it might be important for the final book in the Diogenes trilogy.

In this second book of the Diogenes Trilogy Diogenes, Pendergast's evil brother, is executing his plan to make his brother's life a living hell by killing Pendergast's friend one by one and trying to put the blame on Pendergast himself.

Although the ending is sort of a cliffhanger it isn't one like in Brimstone, although Pendergast is in prison the book ends on a positive note because his closests friends start making plans to jailbreak him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance of Death.