Nina ♥'s Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: first-in-series, ridiculously-hot-guys

CONTAINS SPOILERS!

2.5 stars. (Damn you goodreads! Why can’t there be a .5 in the ratings?!)

Okay, so I neither loved this book, nor hated it. It was just a quick, quirky, fun read to me (don’t let that cover fool you, it’s not dark, and it’s not very serious—not in a bad way, of course). The whole IPCA thing (International Paranormal Containment Agency) kind of reminded me of the movie Men in Black.

I loved the main character, Evie. She was so cute and so different from the usual heroines I read about. I found her obsessions with the color pink, high school, lockers, driving licenses, and normalcy adorable. Also, she’s not like some heroines where she thinks she not pretty and always lacking confidence, she’s always honest and yeah, sometimes insecure too but in a completely normal way. Also, she wasn’t whining and complaining 99% of the book so that’s definitely a bonus. (Oh, and her eyebrow-raising envy kind of reminded me of Clary (from The Mortal Instruments series) and Rose (from The Vampire Academy series)).

As for the love triangle, I don’t really think there was any to begin with. I don’t think the author meant for Reth (or Lorethan, love the name!) to be a love interest (unless she changes that in the second book), just an obstacle for Evie to surmount so that she can be with Lend. But if he actually was a love interest, then I don’t think their relationship was outlined enough. A shame really, he was the one that kept me reading, although he didn’t show up much in the book. His dark, beautifully ominous and seductive nature pulled me in. I would love to learn more of his background and the courts (Seelie and Unseelie) and faeries altogether. As much as the other paranormals intrigued me—vamps, werewolves, water nymphs, mermaids, hags, trolls, gnomes, you name it, Evie’s tased it—the faeries were the most interesting; cold and distant and enigmatic. Not to mention the Faerie Realms and Paths were just very fascinating. (Going wherever you want just by opening a door must be awesome.) I don’t necessarily want him to end up with Evie—since I still don’t know if he’s the good guy or the bad guy or neither, for that matter, since “faeries only care about things they care about”—but I definitely want to read more about him in Supernaturally, since he was (mostly) the one who kept me reading.

Lend wasn’t one of those sexy and hot and smoldering and combustible love interests. Which I was kind of glad but also disappointed about. He was just sweet and cute, like Evie, and together they made an adorable couple. BUT, sometimes their relationship and feelings toward each other didn’t seem real, just like when you get your first boyfriend (which was exactly the case with Evie and Lend) and you think you can’t live without each other only to break up a month later. There wasn’t much passion and intensity between them. Reth is a much deeper character than Lend, and I was more fascinated by him (damn you, bad boys! …or really evil, bad-tempered faeries in Reth’s case). Which is ridiculous because I know Reth doesn’t love Evie (and vice versa), he just needs something from her, which, hopefully, we’ll find out in the second book (I still don’t know why the whole sucking-paranormal’s-souls matters to him so much). I also really want to know more about their history together.

What annoyed me was that, throughout the book, I felt like Evie had two personalities, one being when she was with Reth, when she was all self-confidence and fierceness and maturity, and the other when she was with lend, all cute and excited, and a normal 16 year-old. I would’ve liked her more if she was both all the time.

There were some very funny parts in the book. Evie’s best friend, Lish, was bleeping hilarious. (“Bleep stupid bleep bleep faeries and their bleep bleep bleep obsessions. He had better stop bleep bleep bleep the bleep bleep rules or I will bleep bleep bleep the little bleeeeeeeeeeep.”)

Her love and protectiveness of Evie makes me want to have a best friend like her. I was so sad she died, when I found out that Vivian hadn’t actually let the souls go, just kept them in her body, I was hoping (and was kind of expecting) she would be alive again when Evie released the souls, but she’s really gone. Maybe Arianna will become Evie’s new best friend, though the whole seeing-through-her-glamour-right-down-to-her-shriveling-corpse thing would be kind of scary.

Oh, and I loved the whole rolling-chair thing, too. Kind of makes me want to do it too. Evie’s a bad influence on me.

The villain was not scary, at all. Was she even a villain to begin with? Vivian just seemed like a really lonely, sad person in need of a family…(and possibly therapy, since she was raised by faeries, which, based on the fey in this book, is not good).

Reth and Lend also reminded me of Ren and Shay from Nightshade.

BTW, what does the title mean? I think it’s a mixture of “paranormal” and “normalcy,” thus, in Evie’s life, there’s no “normalcy,” just “paranormalcy.”

Ugh, what am I saying?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

Quotes Nina ♥ Liked

Kiersten White
“Yes, I have a driver's license."

I leaned back against the wall, sighing. "Man, that must be so cool."

"It ranks right up there with lockers. In fact, sometimes I put my license inside my locker, and it's so cool I worry that the whole thing might explode with the sheer coolness of it all.”

“Oh, bleep.”

“Normal? What's that?"
"How you really look."
"Can you take off all your clothes?"
Okay weirdest thing ever-I just asked myself to take off all my clothes. It doesn't get much creepier. "Why on earth would I do that?"
"You asked me to be naked; I thought it was only fair.”

Kiersten White
“...sometimes I get tired. Sometimes I get bored. And sometimes all I want, more than anything else in the world, is to go on a freaking date.”

Kiersten White
“Do you have a driver's license?"
He laughed. "That's important?"
"Oh yeah! I'd kill for a driver's license! Hey, maybe that's what the poem means! I'm going to go berserk and start attacking people because they won't let me drive..."
"Could be, you never know. But yes, I have a driver's license."
I leaned back against the wall, sighing. "Man, that must be so cool."
"It ranks right up there with lockers. In fact, sometimes I put my drivers license inside my locker, and it's so cool I worry that the whole thing might explode with the sheer coolness of it all.”

Kiersten White
“We sat down and Lend put his arm around me. Every single jaw at the table dropped.
"Man," John said, shaking his head. "All this time I was pretty sure you were gay.”

Kiersten White
“I guess I can't blame him for feeling bitter. Going from being the terror of Bulgarian nights to a janitor would kinda suck”

Kiersten White
“Oh relax." I waved my hand dismissively. "If he wanted to kill me, he already would have. I brought him all these sharp pencils, ideal for stabbing, and he's been a perfect gentleman.”

Kiersten White
“Why does everyone keep asking me that?" Seriously, did I look like some sort of pyscho assassin? Maybe it was the pink sneakers. Or the heart earrings?”

Kiersten White
“I hate the vamp jobs. They think they're so suave. It's not enough for them to slaughter and eat you like a zombie would. No, they want to be all sexy, too. And trust me: vampires? Not. Sexy.”

Kiersten White
“He reached out and put his hand on top of mine. My heart skipped a beat - he liked me, too!
"You're worried about what's killing the paranormals aren't you?"
Crap. He didn't like me.”

Kiersten White
“What are you?" I whispered.
"What are you?"
Offended, I frowned. "Human."
"Funny, me too."
"No, you're not."
"Funny, neither are you."
I set my jaw and glared. What a jerk. "Why did you come here?"
My voice came from his mouth, disconcerting as always. "I could ask you the same thing. Are you going to kill me?”

Kiersten White
“What do you think? Does this face make me look fat?”

Kiersten White
“Apparently being a mermaid is dead dull. I watched The Little Mermaid with her once a few years ago—she thought it was freaking hilarious. She couldn’t stop laughing about the shell-bra thing, given that mermaids aren’t mammals. Plus, as she put it, Prince Eric was far too hairy and “peach colored” for her taste. I always thought he was pretty hot, but then again, I am a mammal.”

“You bet I'm trouble.”

Kiersten White
“What, no flirting?” I asked, trying to buy time. “Aren’t you going to at least try to be sexy? Think of all those vampire fans out there—they’d be so disappointed.” I pulled out my silver knife. Probably should have paid more attention during my knife training. “Tell you what. Let me go and I promise not to tell anyone that you aren’t suave.”

Kiersten White
“I can’t see through clothes or anything. Just glamour skin. Except I can see through all of you, since your clothes aren’t real.” I stopped, horrified. “I mean, I don’t look—It’s hard to see you, and I like looking at your real face, but I don’t try to see anything, because—Oh gosh, this sounds terrible.”
He had a funny look on his face, like he wasn’t sure what to think. “Huh. That’s never been an issue before. Maybe next time you could bring me some shorts.”

Kiersten White
“Why’s the faerie so obsessed with you anyway? You’re not that cute.” (Arianna to Evie)”

Kiersten White
“Many of the male faeries had their shirts unbuttoned and chests bare. (How’s this for freaky: no nipples or belly buttons.)”

Kiersten White
“Eyes like streams of melting snow, cold with the things she does not know. Heaven above and Hell beneath, liquid flames to hide her grief. Death, death, death with no release. Death, death, death with no release.”

Kiersten White
“Tasers are a one-size-fits-all paranormal butt-kicking option. Mine’s pink with
rhinestones.”

06/03/2011
76.0% "What are you up to, Reth?"