Lisa's Reviews > The Old Curiosity Shop

The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens

Oct 10, 10

bookshelves: united-kingdom, 19th-century
Read in October, 2010

The book itself is okay--(a young girl and her grandfather flee London to escape an evil creditor)--but for me the real fun was reading a story that people got so excited about over 150 years ago. According to Wikipedia, "In 2007, many newspapers claimed the excitement at the release of the last volume of 'The Old Curiosity Shop' was the only historical comparison that could be made to the excitement at the release of the last Harry Potter novel .... Dickens fans were reported to storm the piers of New York City, shouting to arriving sailors (who may have read the last installment in the United Kingdom), 'Is Little Nell alive?'" I bet Dickens and Rowling would have a lot to talk about. I would love to know what Dickens thought of the Harry Potter series if he could come back to life and read it.

Because "The Old Curiosity Shop" was published in weekly installments, Dickens profited by dragging out the action--so his famous wordiness is in full force in this book. But I think the best way to enjoy Dickens is to surrender to the wordiness and let it carry you along. It makes for the strange experience of reading passages that go something like: "blah blah blah blah paid by the word blah blah BRILLIANT GEM blah." ... Hmm ... Come to think of it, reading Dickens is actually not that different from watching Lost.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old Curiosity Shop.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamra (last edited Jan 03, 2011 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tamra You hit on the exact reason why I picked this Dickens book: its extreme popularity at the time. When I tell people that I'm reading The Old Curiosity Shop, I tell them that it was the most popular Dickens book at the time it was written, and they're kinda shocked, cause they've never heard of it.