Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews's Reviews > Magic in the Blood

Magic in the Blood by Devon Monk

Oct 13, 10

Read from October 09 to 14, 2010

For me, this book was frustrating to review and read, especially the first third of this book. Allison, is still suffering the effects of losing 3 weeks of her memories from the events in Magic to the Bone. That includes all memories of her so called love entanglement with the mysterious Zavyion Jones, who, like it or not, I don't trust. How can we? The story is told in the POV of Allison, and not the other characters in the book. I don't even trust her fathers newest wife #6 to have her best interests at heart.

Second; Allison is supposingly a power magic user and yet, she fails to protect herself when Lon Trager, kinpin of drugs and blood magic stabs a needle in her leg, and draws her blood. Then demands that she show up with another hound named Pike. I mean, really? She also finds herself hounded by shadow people who steal her magic. I mean, really? I want to see her kick some major evil, and come away without being admitted to the hospital each and every time.

Third, the fact that her father is in her head, and may or may not be using her for his own good, is disturbing on many levels. Of course, the ending of this book was exactly as I expected to be after I read the blurb for the next book in the series.

Next, like some of the other reviewers, I'm tired of the memory loss angle. The fact that Allie can't seem to remember pretty much the whole first book makes me wonder why I even bother reading it. Also, Monk left some dangling threads from the previous story that was never picked up in the 2nd book. Can we hope that these threads are closed in the next book?

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic in the Blood.