Jennifer's Reviews > The Myth of You and Me

The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart

May 30, 2007

bookshelves: grownupbooks
Read in May, 2007

Most women can attest that friendships go through many phases in life – some friends you keep, some you disconnect from entirely, some simply become names on a Christmas card list. Then there are best friends, the ones that shaped your life and the person you became. You can clearly remember everything about how you met; in some cases, you can remember exactly how your friendship collapsed.

The friendship between Cameron and Sonia, which began when they were 14, ends soon after college. Cameron is perfectly comfortable not looking back until Sonia sends her a letter, years later. Cameron’s aging employer, the only person Cameron remains close to, has one posthumous request – to find Sonia. Begrudgingly, she begins a journey that strings together her and Sonia’s past, of memories and places and relationships molded by their friendship. The ending, if not jaw-dropping, is quietly realistic.

The real pleasure of this book is the writing – it rocks back and forth between past events and present until the reader has a distinct understanding of Cameron’s character and why this friendship ended. There’s nothing particularly melodramatic or sensational about the story, but the intimate portrayal of two friends kept me up at night, reading. I absolutely loved this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Myth of You and Me.

03/24/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tamara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tamara What a well-crafted review! I'm sold!!!

Boof Me too Jennifer, I really liked your review. Books don't have to be be classics or clever to be thoroughtly enjoyable - I good book to me is one that draws me in and makes me glad I read it.

Maria :)