Jessica Lawlor's Reviews > Second Helpings

Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty

Oct 09, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2009

Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty is the second in the series about Jessica Darling, now a high school senior. The story is still told through Jessica’s journal and letters to her best friend Hope who moved away during her sophomore year.

I really wasn’t a fan of the first book, but because I’ve heard such good things about the series, I decided to give it another chance. I’m so glad I did, because now I’m absolutely in love with Jessica Darling.

The second book chronicles Jessica’s journey through her senior year of high school. Jessica struggles with deciding what college to attend, if she should quit the track team and what boy she should date. All seemingly normal problems for a high school girl, right? Right, but Jessica is way more introspective and interesting than your average high school girl.

Remember bad boy Marcus from the first book? Oh, he’s back in this book and better than ever. Jessica convinces herself that she doesn’t like Marcus and even dates another unlikely guy from her grade in this book. In the back of her head, she can’t stop thinking about Marcus, but won’t admit it, even to herself.

Later on in the book, Marcus and Jessica have an interesting run in, and what happens from then on is definitely interesting…

I couldn’t put this book down. I read it on the train, in class, before bed…anywhere I could get some reading in. I am sucked into Jessica’s world and I can’t wait to read the rest of the series. I’m so glad I stuck it out and thanks to everyone who convinced me it would be worth it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Helpings.