Cassi aka Snow White Haggard's Reviews > The Piper's Son

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

May 06, 11

bookshelves: kindle, read-in-2011
Read from April 28 to May 01, 2011

Wavered between 4 & 5 stars. This 5 star system does not work for me!!! Will continue to stew on this book. What can you say? It's Melina Marchetta and she's the most talented author out there right now in my opinion.

Have concluded there is no way to write a proper review that does a Melina Marchetta book justice. I just wanted to add that the writing is superb. The prose seems so simple, but it allows the characters, storyline and dialogue to pop. Nobody writes characters like Melina Marchetta. No character is one-note. Everybody has their complexities and quirks. It baffles me how Melina captures the human experience so vividly. It comes across as effortless (as opposed to many authors who try too hard) but there's no way its easy to write a book that's this brilliant.

Go read this and everything else by Melina Marchetta. That is all you really need to know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Piper's Son.

05/01/2011 page 175
53.0% "Really enjoying the book. Wish I'd re-read Saving Francesca beforehand. (I'm really 61% done but ebook is not an option on goodreads yet)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling I really want half stars, too! Poo. And I have Jellicoe Road on my nightstand, since everyone raves so much about MM here on GoodReads...

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Jellicoe Road is brilliant. Half stars would be lovely (or a 10 stars system...anything except 5 stars).

There are books that I put as 4 stars that are really 3.5+ and books that are mid-4s. It's impossible to properly rate books because almost everything ends up as a 4 star.

Wendy Darling Agreed. I'm not really sure why GR is so resistant to this--the system creates a decimal pointed average anyway, so it'd be nice for us to have more control over it. Oh, well.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Who knows. It makes us work harder in writing the reviews. You can just rate and go. You need to review in order to create nuances between this 4 & that 4 star rating.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) The narrator bumped this up from 4 to 5 stars for me. If you ever get a working ipod you need to listen to the audiobook :)

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Someday I will get motivated enough to get a working ipod. Sadly the non-working state of my ipod has caused a sleight weight gain because walking without the ipod is a lot less enjoyable than walking with the ipod.

Its weird how that happens.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I just bought a sansa clip for $25 bucks and LOVE it! Something to think about. We have two ipods, but they are both old and my hubby uses one of them. The sansa is tiny!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard How much does the sansa hold?

message 9: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited May 01, 2011 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) So far I have 4 full length audiobooks on there and am thinking I can put several more on there if I want. I bought the 2 gb one because it is cheap and has room for a memory card, but I am guessing I will never need the memory card.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Hmmm. I might need to look into this further.

message 11: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited May 01, 2011 06:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) My hubby likes it so much he wants one now too! I got mine on Amazon. I know all my audiobook loving GR friends love theirs (Peep and Wendy included). It is Overdrive compatible btw.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard My main question will be how it will work with my Mac. I love it but often it complicates things.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Hmmm some people on Amazon said their Sansa worked on their Mac but they had it in MSC mode? Do you know what that means? I think it has something to do with the usb cable.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I don't know what that means but I'm an excellent googler.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Heidi!! My sister took my ipod to the apple store & they gave me a new one. It was still under warranty. Why did I not just do this sooner? But I'm not going to have excuses with audiobooks anymore

Wendy Darling Cassi, aren't you a Kindler? I haven't tried audiobooks with it yet, but am curious; people seem to like it for that as an iPod alternative. Although obviously having a new iPod solves your problem!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I have a kindle. But I tend to do audiobooks when I drive and I just don't know how that would work with a Kindle. If there is a magical way I'd love to know lol. (I drive a decent amount for my job, sometimes almost 2 hours away and back).

The other time I listen to my ipod is when I go walk in the park and the kindle might be a little large for fitness walking.

Wendy Darling Hah, I suppose so. I used to do audiobooks all the time as a commuter (2 hours??) but don't spend too much time in the car anymore. We do have a road trip coming up this summer, though, so I'm looking into options...

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I have a 30 minute commute normally. But my office covers 22 (I think) counties for Girl Scouts and sometimes I do events as much as 2 hours away. Audiobooks keep me sane.

Wendy Darling Girl Scouts! I now have a vision of you being surrounded by boxes of cookies piled high to the ceiling.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Around March part of our office is exactly like that.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Yay Cassi! So excited you got a new ipod!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard It just makes me love apple & the applecare plan even more

YAY new ipod! (I so don't use it enough to justify buying a new one so this is the best option)