Rosa's Reviews > Little Brother

1913711
Oct 14, 10

bookshelves: boy-reads, dystopias, young-adult, 2010, battle-of-the-books
Read from October 09 to 13, 2010

This book did what all good dystopias should do. It scared the crap out of me. Everything the author wrote about just sounded so completely plausible and doable with modern day technology. Especially considering the bill that is making it's way through congress right now that would allow companies to basically monitor our internet. Marcus is a smart tech savy kid who knows his way around electronics. A combination of being able to do things with a computer that a lot of adults aren't capable of much less wrap their head around and being in the wrong place at the wrong time gets Marcus and his friends picked up and kept by the Department of Homeland Security the day of a terrorist attack. His experiences make him decide to fight back. Sometimes the things Marcus does exacerbate the problem, and you can definitely feel his frustration when things he says, does and sets up are misinterpreted and/or go wrong.

The reason this book is so good and so frightening is that unlike other dystopia's I've read, this doesn't take place in the future, it takes place right now. A lot of the technology that the government uses to turn San Francisco into a police state is similar to tech that we use, available and being used in innocuous ways now. The whole thing just sounds so feasible, like it would be so easy for the government to pull of now. Granted I'm not super tech savy so I could be totally wrong, but still the book makes me think which is really the point. This is one of those books I think everyone should read, even if only to get a different perspective on things and to learn to be more aware of what's going on.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Brother.