Sharon's Reviews > Scream for Me

Scream for Me by Karen Rose

Oct 09, 10

bookshelves: romantic-suspense
Read in October, 2010

Review for the Vartanian trilogy by Karen Rose: Die For Me, Scream For Me and Kill For Me.
Karen Rose creates my favorite type of novels, romantic suspense- and she does them well. Since I recently discovered her, I have been devouring every book that I could find.
Romance: I do love the heroes in Rose's books, and the relationships are always sexy and utterly romantic while still being realistic enough to enthrall the reader. The romance is the authors strong point.
Characters: The last two Rose books I read were good (as usual), but I did complain that I was getting a tiny bit tired of her absolutely perfect heroines. In the Vartanian trilogy, the heroes were just as wonderful as I like them :), but I felt that the female leads were more realistically portrayed. Sophie, Alex and Susannah were just the right bit of imperfect- they had failed relationships because they kept their heart closed, they made snap judgements, held grudges and made mistakes. They learned and grew as characters through their stories and I found that I respected that as a reader.
Suspense: For this trilogy, Rose creates a villainy arc- where the villain in book one provides the base for the larger villainy in book two, which turns out to just be the tip of the iceberg when the evil in book three is revealed. I found the suspense plot in book one to be interesting and unique in a perfectly chilling kind of way, and the extension in book two worked well and kept me horrified and mesmerized at the same time. The concept of evil in the final book was a bit farfetched, and even somewhat convoluted and was thus my least favourite of the three- but it was still worth reading even if simply to finish out the thread.
So- long story short (too late), I recommend this trilogy and Karen Rose's other works as well. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scream for Me.